Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HELP - 300 GB in tow need help

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
slackguy

HELP - 300 GB in tow need help

#1 Post by slackguy »

i mistakenly deleted my last copy of sarge ISO - am still using actively. everyone deleted all sarge iso.

i used jigdo-lite to get , which fails on 11th source CD. i tried debugging the script but it is very twisted and re-directing. i'm assuming either sources were hacked after templates made OR that the orig. never worked (CD full error) and was left broken.

HOWEVER - because jigdo is so 'dumb' there is no way to tell it to enlarge cd, or skip a file, or really *anything*. as a result i have NO IDEA what i'm missing

TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE: archive site automatically uses 'cdimage/snapshot' site url to download. that site has a pool but no Packages or Release files

so, now i can get "all the files" for a few releases (ok, i use 3 anyway),

so far this "bandwith saving jigdo" has cost me $$ time and money and likely 100G of download WASTED SO FAR trying to see if i could get 1 2o3uoXXX2iu3 CD. (how? jigdo-lite, with prompting disabled, loops ! it continually downloads the same thing. it did so hours while i was working on something else)

to put salt in the eye - i see UBUNTU is (soliciting) when people want debian packages there are URL to add to /etc/apt/foo.list (oh does ubuntu use apt?) which has just enough debian Packages and Release files to download some contrib/ but not enough to "make past debian releases whole again"

i'll omit my outrage comments and ask ...

HOW DO I GET ALL, ALL SARGE FILES need for use with dpkg and apt-get ???? i dont mind having newer versions but deletion to access of older version is simply not permitted.

(i can operate a website to make it available myself, however that will do no good in my sources.list if Packages and Release files MD5SUM files are not available.)

http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/

^ has a great pool/ i would 'wget' (skip all but one arch). but it's dist/ has sarge/ (6 other) directories but all the CD files are missing: the important part: the Packages, Release, md5sum (can be disabled). also it's likely a 300GB download ! i can easily report this jigdo think has in the past cost me time effort (got woody - but that was DAMAGED TOO) and bandwidth and is doing it again today.

QUESTION: if i want a repository (all web issues aside) i can use sources.list to pull sarge or potato or sqeeze or newer from, where am i finding the files i need ?? i only want 'fully sources' i don't like mystery bins and firmly dislike anything that prevents me from modifying software.

thank you

millpond

Re: HELP - 300 GB in tow need help

#3 Post by millpond »

http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimag ... 86/iso-cd/

Its not a big file - about 100Mb.

Contains the 3 boot,root,driver floppy images as well as the archive a-z, which you can install from using deb-mirror (if that version supports it...)

Downloaded fine, using normal link. Dunno what jigdo is, and not sure i want to mess with it.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

by millpond »Dunno what jigdo is, and not sure i want to mess with it.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-Jigdo/whyjigdo.html
Actually it works pretty good, I have used it several times, for various versions
of Debian, and includeing some of the archived versions.

millpond

#5 Post by millpond »

GarryRicketson wrote:
by millpond »Dunno what jigdo is, and not sure i want to mess with it.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-Jigdo/whyjigdo.html
Actually it works pretty good, I have used it several times, for various versions
of Debian, and includeing some of the archived versions.
Hmm.. looks like jigdo would be fine for new releases, but pointless for older ones.