Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Biggest mistake ever made by Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
vbrummond

Re: Biggest mistake ever made by Debian

#16 Post by vbrummond »

There was a ridiculous rift in the Linux community especially Debian over systemd. Bottom line is enterprise uses it, you need to know it.
Always on Debian Testing

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Not so fast. First, somebody using it somewhere because they didn't have the choice does not mean much, does it? Second, there is an army of RHEL-6 installations all over the world and I hear sysadmins in charge of those resist upgrading to 7 for this very reason.

bw123

#18 Post by bw123 »

ok, let's play
Systemd is full of bugs ,
The whole distro is full of bugs, see:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
no one have a good idea how it works
85 million hits say NO ONE have a good idea how anything works in linux, see:

How Does Linux Work
Related Articles on How Does Linux Work. 85+ Million Visitors - Search Now.
About.com/How Does Linux Work
changed how linux by default works .
Since no one knows how it works by default, the added complexity shouldn't affect your mood this way.

But one question I have is, where would debian be today without systemd? What desktop environments would we have?

Would we all be using fluxbox or what?

p.s. I love fluxbox, but not on my little netbook
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#19 Post by Segfault »

All desktops run without systemd, although you need to use a fork if you want to use Gnome 3.

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

Code: Select all

# aptitude why libpam-systemd
i   kde-plasma-netbook Depends udisks2       
i A udisks2            Depends libpam-systemd
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#21 Post by Segfault »

bw123 wrote:

Code: Select all

# aptitude why libpam-systemd
i   kde-plasma-netbook Depends udisks2       
i A udisks2            Depends libpam-systemd
So you prove a systemd based distro has compiled KDE with systemd support. According to you Devuan and all other distros that run KDE without systemd do not exist?

bw123

#22 Post by bw123 »

They seem to be up to kde 3? I could be wrong, I haven't tried it, but is that where debian would be without systemd?

https://devuan.org/os/packages/task-kde-desktop
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#23 Post by Segfault »

I do not run all those distros, but in Gentoo you can build the latest KDE/Plasma without systemd, so it definitely is not hard dependency. It is merely a build-time option.

pedropt

#24 Post by pedropt »

I made today an upgrade from debian wheezy to devuan jessie , i had some problems fixing all the stuff , because the current kernel in devuan is 3.16 and i was already on 3.18 in wheezy , and mostly because of my nvidia proprietary drivers that if i install the drivers from wheezy repository where they say that my model should work , in reality does not work at all and hangs at login screen .
Well , after messing around with the current installed distribution to make it work i had to compile from source a new kernel 3.18 to be able to install my nvidia drivers from NVIDIA website . Now it is working very good the devuan , and this is a dual boot system i have here because there is a game i like to play on my very old XP eheheh .
Devuan desktop environment is XFCE4 .
Ah , yes , and i forgot to mention that this particular wheezy distro that i updated was a pentest distro from Kali , from now on i i will have to update my tools manually from git , so i dont mess up with the OS and kali repository .
I really advice you all to check out devuan distro , is pretty good , light and without that systemd crap .

Note : i had to install kernel 3.18 from source because i have an hardware that only works after this kernel , a sound card , and i did not found a correct explanation on the web in how to compile its alsa driver in 3.16 , so this is the reason .

golinux

#25 Post by golinux »

Segfault wrote:I do not run all those distros, but in Gentoo you can build the latest KDE/Plasma without systemd, so it definitely is not hard dependency. It is merely a build-time option.
That is most often the case.
May the FORK be with you!

HuangLao

#26 Post by HuangLao »

bw123 wrote:ok, let's play
Systemd is full of bugs ,
The whole distro is full of bugs, see:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
no one have a good idea how it works
85 million hits say NO ONE have a good idea how anything works in linux, see:

How Does Linux Work
Related Articles on How Does Linux Work. 85+ Million Visitors - Search Now.
About.com/How Does Linux Work
changed how linux by default works .
Since no one knows how it works by default, the added complexity shouldn't affect your mood this way.

But one question I have is, where would debian be today without systemd? What desktop environments would we have?

Would we all be using fluxbox or what?

p.s. I love fluxbox, but not on my little netbook
Ok game on. Look at Slackware (which I also use), we have KDE4, Xfce 4.12, all of the latest libraries etc... and no systemd, no PAM either. You are making the common mistake of thinking a program depends on systemd because of systemd. It is up to the distro packagers/maintainers on what something will depend. You can even have Gnome on Slack through a third party repo., MATE no problem either.

ref: http://www.droplinegnome.org/
https://mateslackbuilds.github.io/
http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/decembe ... -plasma-5/

Danielsan

#27 Post by Danielsan »

I gave up with systemd, for me is garbage and it will be for ever but I want use Debian so I decided to tolerate it.

Sadly recently it was disclosure a serious bug but the systemd team tried to hide it and this is not really nice:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ot-exploit

I believe RMS doesn't care about systemd too much because the FSF is developing its own init system, I believe it is super cool but it still in development.

https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/

phenest

#28 Post by phenest »

Danielsan wrote:Sadly recently it was disclosure a serious bug but the systemd team tried to hide it and this is not really nice:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ot-exploit
Actually, it says they silently fixed it. It does not say they tried to hide it. It was fixed a year ago.
Danielsan wrote:I believe RMS doesn't care about systemd too much because the FSF is developing its own init system, I believe it is super cool but it still in development.

https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/
From that source:
It provides a replacement for the service-managing capabilities of SysV-init (or any other init) with a both powerful and beautiful dependency-based system with a convenient interface.
It doesn't say it's an init system.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Danielsan

#29 Post by Danielsan »

Phenest... :roll:

"Silently fixed" means they tried to not talk very much about a serious or an idiotic bug.
Sebastian Krahmer 2017-01-18 10:50:15 UTC
Apparently upstream failed to analyze the impact of this bug and so it was silently fixed.
Recently I read (unfortunately) the umpteenth interview to Poettering where, with the complicity of the interviewer, he was all the interview celebrating himself about systemd and other bad softwares he realized, what is it the point? He is the only one proud about systemd at the FSF they neither take it in consideration, so for they sysv-init still remain the official GNU init system and for these reason you can read: "(or any other init)"

:wink:

Segfault

#30 Post by Segfault »

There are many discussions on the net about systemd. They all get boring sooner or later. Lets add some spice here.

How about this conspiracy theory: Poettering is an agent of NSA, systemd has built-in backdoors for NSA to use, Debian was forced to use systemd by NSA.

:twisted: :P :lol:

VentGrey

#31 Post by VentGrey »

I think these systemd discussions are just a waste of time, probably because we already have some specific distros. This goes pretty simple, if you don't like systemd don't use it. :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

phenest

#32 Post by phenest »

Danielsan wrote:"Silently fixed" means they tried to not talk very much about a serious or an idiotic bug.
Why do they have to talk about it? So long as they fix it. You're making a big deal out of something that was fixed a year ago.
Danielsan wrote:Recently I read (unfortunately) the umpteenth interview to Poettering where ...
It sounds like you have a fixation. If you dislike it that much, go use a distro that doesn't have it.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

deborah-and-ian

#33 Post by deborah-and-ian »

phenest wrote:
Danielsan wrote:"Silently fixed" means they tried to not talk very much about a serious or an idiotic bug.
Why do they have to talk about it? So long as they fix it. You're making a big deal out of something that was fixed a year ago.
Danielsan wrote:Recently I read (unfortunately) the umpteenth interview to Poettering where ...
It sounds like you have a fixation. If you dislike it that much, go use a distro that doesn't have it.
Why do you want to talk sense? Are you one of them? :lol:
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

Roel63

#34 Post by Roel63 »

Segfault wrote:How about this conspiracy theory: Poettering is an agent of NSA, systemd has built-in backdoors for NSA to use, Debian was forced to use systemd by NSA.
Good idea. It is way too long ago already that a person subscribed to this forum only to slam the OS because of systemd.

pedropt

#35 Post by pedropt »

I think these systemd discussions are just a waste of time, probably because we already have some specific distros. This goes pretty simple, if you don't like systemd don't use it. :mrgreen:
I don't use it anymore , i changed to Devuan Jessie , witch is a fork from debian and it is very stable .
How about this conspiracy theory: Poettering is an agent of NSA, systemd has built-in backdoors for NSA to use, Debian was forced to use systemd by NSA.
I have doubts about that , however , iptables exist to avoid that , but by default no one configures iptables on their distros , witch means that the distro is accepting and sending everything without filter .

The first thing that a normal user of linux should do when install his linux box is :
-Check running services at startup and disable those that he does not use : samba , ntp , kerberus , etc ...
-Then check with netstat witch ports are opened and witch services are running them .

For last : configure a set of rules in iptables to accept only connections that were started by the linux machine .

This way , every port will be drop or be closed .

To be honest , no one does this steps , but comparing linux to windows , in windows after you install it , then is better you remove it next because you will be hacked for sure and there is nothing you can do to avoid it (except unplug network cable) , lol .