Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Article] Top 5 best rising Linux distros in 2017

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

[Article] Top 5 best rising Linux distros in 2017

#1 Post by arochester »

5. Debian

We can hear you shouting from here. “But TechRadar,” you bellow, “Debian is massive! How can you call it ‘rising’?” Here’s how: it is definitely a rising distro. While Ubuntu did a great job bringing Linux to the masses, many users brought on board by its orange-and-brown glitz and glamour have moved away thanks to a few controversial changes. The natural post-Ubuntu route, given the huge amount of shared DNA, is its parent OS, Debian.

There may not be a better time to make the leap than now, with the latest of Debian’s ‘when it’s ready’ releases about to drop. Version 9, subtitled ‘Stretch’, is frozen and ready for release once its list of bugs is ironed out. Given Debian’s huge range of application options, its massive list of possible desktops, and the stability and almost universal compatibility of its package manager, plain old Debian is one of the strongest Linux choices going.
http://www.techradar.com/news/top-5-bes ... os-in-2017

acewiza

Re: [Article] Top 5 best rising Linux distros in 2017

#2 Post by acewiza »

Can't argue with that. I've made the rounds of many distros over the years and continue to do so today. But in my case they are for specific things I might be testing or interested in for some odd reason, or just out of curiosity. My primary workstation has been, and probably always will be stock Debian.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

Re: [Article] Top 5 best rising Linux distros in 2017

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The same article called the xfce4 4.12 I backported for MX "distinguished", though I don't remember setting that configuration option:

Code: Select all

--enable-distinguished
:lol:

The article also blew the oppotunity to use "deepin rising".
MX Linux packager and developer