Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

UEFI Support on Live Images

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Ardouos

UEFI Support on Live Images

#1 Post by Ardouos »

Looks like there will be hope for UEFI support in Debian Stretch.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00014.html
Live images - now including UEFI support
========================================

After a hiatus, weekly builds of live images for testing are now
happening again. These cover amd64 and i386, and there is a separate
image for each of the common desktop environments. Thanks to great
work by Neil Williams, Iain Learmonth and Ana Custura on new tools
(vmdebootstrap and live-wraper), these also include support for UEFI
booting as a new feature. Please help test the images and give

http://get.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-live-builds/
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

ticojohn

Re: UEFI Support on Live Images

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Download speed is really SLOW! Like 200 kb/s . If I ever get it I will test it. LOL!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Finally got the iso downloaded. Copied it to a USB stick. Tried both dd and cp. It will not boot. Checked over the bios very thoroughly and can not see anything that would prevent it from booting. The bios sees the device as being bootable.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-h81m-h. It has a dual bios setup for UEFI and Legacy. It boots Jessie in legacy mode with no problem. In the bios I selected UEFI and Legacy boot modes. I selected the UEFI First option. When it boots, there is a short pause, as if it is looking at the USB stick, and then goes ahead and boots the legacy drive.

The thing I find most strange is that when I look at the USB stick, using the file manager, the label is simply ISOIMAGE. Other times I have made an iso image the label would be representative of the OS, eg Debian Stretch.

I know this is not the place to ask for help, and I am not doing so. Just making a general comment. Wondered if anybody has used the referenced URL for downloads and whether they had success.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I dl'd from the link and had the same boot problem, although I don't have legacy boot option enabled and I left secure boot off as I'm not sure it has been implemented yet. I haven't had time to check the image etc so not reported anything as yet.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

Dai_trying wrote:I dl'd from the link and had the same boot problem, although I don't have legacy boot option enabled and I left secure boot off as I'm not sure it has been implemented yet. I haven't had time to check the image etc so not reported anything as yet.
Good to know that is might not just be me and operator error. Probably best to just wait for the official release.