Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 released

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.

pylkko

Re: Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 released

#2 Post by pylkko »

Well, at least on qemu the image works remarkably well. I would like to try baremetal, but I would have to get some hardware. Actually, I believe I have two machines that might work but both are currently in other use.

I could connect the network, install qupzilla and browse the net, install geany and write code, change the WM from iceWM to DWM and it worked. I hear that LXDE works well but did not have the patients to install it. Mach kernel probably sucks performance wise but not in any way that you would notice it mucking around with the desktop and browser. All the attempts to integrate faster kernels (L4, viengoos and whatever they are) appear to be on hold currently (https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/histo ... ernel.html).

The translators are a nice concept and well explained, but the problem is obviously the hardware support and how hardware is going into even more proprietary directions. No sound, no USB, no advanced video support, only 32bit single core (although they have managed to get rid of the previous RAM constrictions, and I hear that linux drivers have already been used to get audio to work). Every year Intel and friends come out with even more video/graphics blobs/drm and other things that will not be on the agenda for sure.

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Thanks pylkko for posting about the announcement; I played around with it a few years ago but I'll definitely try it on an old machine of mine some time and report back.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

AlmuHS

#4 Post by AlmuHS »

Hi:

A few days ago, I got install Debian GNU/Hurd 2017 in a real PC.
For this, I use a 2000 years' PC, with a AMD Athlon processor, 1,25 GB RAM memory, and a old 3Com PCI NIC.
The HDD has 60GB and use IDE connection.

The results are very good: the installer detected perfectly my NIC, and setted DHCP with my network via Ethernet cable. Also, It configured my keyboard correctly to use spanish keymap. Futhermore, I could to set a mirror repositorie from the same installer, and install Xfce desktop from this.

After installation, I only had to reconfigure xorg to change startx permissions to all users, and Xfce runs perfectly (but so slow ;) )

As data, my keyboard and mouse use USB port, and these are connected via USB 1.1 ports. (The PC is very very old)

You can view a photo of my Xfce in Debian GNU/Hurd in this link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEfXU86XoAEmO9v.jpg

Now, I want to get any more modern PC to test the installation in it.
Last edited by AlmuHS on 2017-07-21 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

Nice to here that you actually had such luck bare metal and that xfce works that well.

One of the reasons I wanted to test it was because there are, it seems, currently only three distros that offer the GNU kernel, Arch, Debian and GNU's own Guix. However, somewhere in the documentation GNU writes that the best working one is Debian. Guix sd seem to be content with libre linux on their distro.

I was surprised to see how easy it was to work with. Heck, installing FreeBSD is harder.

It is also interesting to notice that sometimes USB works (as is in your case), even though the kernel does not support USB. The documentation claims this to be due to the fact that the BIOS underneath is doing the work.

Also interesting to know that 64-bit is already booting, usb and audio are in the works:

https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedul ... fosdem.pdf

AlmuHS

#6 Post by AlmuHS »

Hi other time:

I've readed about your experiences with Debian GNU/Hurd in differents DE.
Then, I have a question: Do you know how to change tty from Xfce? In Hurd, the keycomb to change tty is Alt+fX, but in Xfce this keycombs are used to different tasks. I tried with Ctrl+Alt+fX, as I use in Linux, but unsuccessfull.

Did you get this? If yes, how can you do it?

Thanks

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

You could have started a new thread, since this is more a support question that related to Debian development. Hoever, I don't know. It seems that once an X is started you cannot send the leftalt + fn and this is not only with xfce, it also occurs with all the WM the I have.

Maybe some one one the mailing list would know?

AlmuHS

#8 Post by AlmuHS »

Hi:

Thanks for answer my question. I don't be registered in any mail list, but I could register in any and send question to this.

In freenode channel I ask the same but I didn't get any successfull answer.