Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Developer

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sistematico

Debian Developer

#1 Post by sistematico »

Is it mandatory and/or recommended for a Debian Developer to use Debian as the primary OS?

Thank you.
Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.

kedaha

Re: Debian Developer

#2 Post by kedaha »

Well, according to the manual:
It is possible to create Debian packages also on other (Unix-compatible) operating systems, but it is much more difficult and not a very good idea.
It's probably easier to set up a system with Debian as native OS than trying to emulate its functionality on another...
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

sistematico

#3 Post by sistematico »

Thank you.
Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

May or may not be true but I've heard that systemd devs work in Linux virtualization on Macs. (Which might explain more than a few things . . . )
May the FORK be with you!

HuangLao

#5 Post by HuangLao »

sistematico wrote:Is it mandatory and/or recommended for a Debian Developer to use Debian as the primary OS?

Thank you.
Im sorry but why create packages or be a developer for a system that you do not actively use as primary OS? That's a bit like driving a Volkswagen but being a salesman for Ford (or change to whatever cars you want)....

HuangLao

#6 Post by HuangLao »

golinux wrote:May or may not be true but I've heard that systemd devs work in Linux virtualization on Macs. (Which might explain more than a few things . . . )
Ive heard that many times as well, its one reason why systemd and Gnome are setup to be optimized for SSD and HDD....after all who still uses mechanical drives (I can't be the only one).

Also, apparently most Ubuntu dev's use Windows and they run Linux in VM...DuckDuck it you'll find surprising things...

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Is the OP a developer ?
scary thought

HuangLao

#8 Post by HuangLao »

GarryRicketson wrote:Is the OP a developer ?
scary thought
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:arrow: Canonical Jobs wanted

Onsemeliot

#9 Post by Onsemeliot »

HuangLao wrote:Im sorry but why create packages or be a developer for a system that you do not actively use as primary OS? That's a bit like driving a Volkswagen but being a salesman for Ford (or change to whatever cars you want)....
Sorry for taking this astray:
A few months back I participated in a discussion: Policy on software used to create desktop theme? It was about your thought applied to the desktop theme. The new theme was created by a designer with proprietary software. I was crucified by some others when I spoke out for the policy we should not use a design done with proprietary software as a showcase for free software. I did assume one of the preconditions to be considered as a viable proposal was that the design has been created with free software. But there I obviously was not only wrong but even evil in the eyes of some.

It was argued that we shouldn't exclude people as long as they provide their work under legal conditions agreeable for the use in Debian. The way it is now it looks to me as if we would say: "Look, want appealing designs, but they can't be done with free software." This is especially odd to me since the design itself can be done very easily with free tools. (Exactly this did one person who was also participating in the discussion. He claimed it took him only 15 minutes to re-construct the same layout with free software.) I guess the only comfort in that situation is that the public doesn't know that the design wasn't done with free software and probably just assumes it ...

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

Onsemeliot wrote: A few months back I participated in a discussion: Policy on software used to create desktop theme? It was about your thought applied to the desktop theme. The new theme was created by a designer with proprietary software. I was crucified by some others when I spoke out for the policy we should not use a design done with proprietary software as a showcase for free software...
I see that unlike, for instance another theme, Las_Grutas, created with Inkscape, Illustrator was used for the DebianArt/Themes/softWaves images. I'm somewhat surprised by their reaction to your perfectly reasonable recommendation that the desktop theme be created with free software.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.