Debian Developer

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Debian Developer

Postby sistematico » 2017-07-09 08:28

Is it mandatory and/or recommended for a Debian Developer to use Debian as the primary OS?

Thank you.
Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.
sistematico
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2009-10-23 02:07

Re: Debian Developer

Postby kedaha » 2017-07-09 10:35

Well, according to the manual:
It is possible to create Debian packages also on other (Unix-compatible) operating systems, but it is much more difficult and not a very good idea.
It's probably easier to set up a system with Debian as native OS than trying to emulate its functionality on another...
Desktop: Mate with Open Sound System (OSSv4].
Server: LaMp, WordPress & mail server set up as detailed at ispmail.
Debian Stable.
Do one thing & do it well.
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2669
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Debian Developer

Postby sistematico » 2017-07-09 11:13

Thank you.
Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.
sistematico
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2009-10-23 02:07

Re: Debian Developer

Postby golinux » 2017-07-09 12:52

May or may not be true but I've heard that systemd devs work in Linux virtualization on Macs. (Which might explain more than a few things . . . )
May the FORK be with you!
User avatar
golinux
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 2010-12-09 00:56
Location: not a 'buntard!

Re: Debian Developer

Postby HuangLao » 2017-07-09 17:16

sistematico wrote:Is it mandatory and/or recommended for a Debian Developer to use Debian as the primary OS?

Thank you.


Im sorry but why create packages or be a developer for a system that you do not actively use as primary OS? That's a bit like driving a Volkswagen but being a salesman for Ford (or change to whatever cars you want)....
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 273
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Debian Developer

Postby HuangLao » 2017-07-09 17:19

golinux wrote:May or may not be true but I've heard that systemd devs work in Linux virtualization on Macs. (Which might explain more than a few things . . . )


Ive heard that many times as well, its one reason why systemd and Gnome are setup to be optimized for SSD and HDD....after all who still uses mechanical drives (I can't be the only one).

Also, apparently most Ubuntu dev's use Windows and they run Linux in VM...DuckDuck it you'll find surprising things...
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 273
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Debian Developer

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-07-09 17:20

Is the OP a developer ?
scary thought
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Debian Developer

Postby HuangLao » 2017-07-09 17:22

GarryRicketson wrote:Is the OP a developer ?
scary thought


:lol: :lol: :lol:

:arrow: Canonical Jobs wanted
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 273
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: Debian Developer

Postby Onsemeliot » 2017-07-10 08:24

HuangLao wrote:Im sorry but why create packages or be a developer for a system that you do not actively use as primary OS? That's a bit like driving a Volkswagen but being a salesman for Ford (or change to whatever cars you want)....

Sorry for taking this astray:
A few months back I participated in a discussion: Policy on software used to create desktop theme? It was about your thought applied to the desktop theme. The new theme was created by a designer with proprietary software. I was crucified by some others when I spoke out for the policy we should not use a design done with proprietary software as a showcase for free software. I did assume one of the preconditions to be considered as a viable proposal was that the design has been created with free software. But there I obviously was not only wrong but even evil in the eyes of some.

It was argued that we shouldn't exclude people as long as they provide their work under legal conditions agreeable for the use in Debian. The way it is now it looks to me as if we would say: "Look, want appealing designs, but they can't be done with free software." This is especially odd to me since the design itself can be done very easily with free tools. (Exactly this did one person who was also participating in the discussion. He claimed it took him only 15 minutes to re-construct the same layout with free software.) I guess the only comfort in that situation is that the public doesn't know that the design wasn't done with free software and probably just assumes it ...
User avatar
Onsemeliot
 
Posts: 134
Joined: 2010-12-15 14:43

Re: Debian Developer

Postby kedaha » 2017-07-11 06:22

Onsemeliot wrote:A few months back I participated in a discussion: Policy on software used to create desktop theme? It was about your thought applied to the desktop theme. The new theme was created by a designer with proprietary software. I was crucified by some others when I spoke out for the policy we should not use a design done with proprietary software as a showcase for free software...

I see that unlike, for instance another theme, Las_Grutas, created with Inkscape, Illustrator was used for the DebianArt/Themes/softWaves images. I'm somewhat surprised by their reaction to your perfectly reasonable recommendation that the desktop theme be created with free software.
Desktop: Mate with Open Sound System (OSSv4].
Server: LaMp, WordPress & mail server set up as detailed at ispmail.
Debian Stable.
Do one thing & do it well.
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2669
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26


Return to Debian Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable