Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chromium on Debian Jessie is no longer supported

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
pcalvert

Chromium on Debian Jessie is no longer supported

#1 Post by pcalvert »

Chromium on Debian Jessie is no longer supported and will not receive any more security updates.
For the oldstable distribution (jessie), security support for chromium has
been discontinued.
Source: [SECURITY] [DSA 4020-1] chromium-browser security update
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

cpoakes

Re: Chromium on Debian Jessie is no longer supported

#2 Post by cpoakes »

Chromium devs are simply not interested in LTS for debian. At least this time around, stretch has been out for 6 months and you might choose to upgrade to stable. When they bailed on wheezy, wheezy was still stable (not yet oldstable) and jessie wasn't released until months later. Their breakneck development cycle doesn't mesh with the Debian notion of stability, so I haven't touched it since.

ladnalo

#3 Post by ladnalo »

What makes it so hard for maintainers to backport at least security fixes into Chromium for Jessie?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For Firefox & Chromium the entire package is rebuilt and Google don't provide an ESR version (unlike Mozilla) so it's quite hard work to keep up.

And I don't think the devs are keen on Google but this is pure supposition on my part.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

What makes it so hard to just not use a out dated, insecure browser ? and then Debian Jessie, is getting pretty close to being outdated, and not supported as well. Logic should give you the solution, try using it.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

ladnalo wrote:What makes it so hard for maintainers to backport for Jessie?
Because backports repos are disabled in Jessie LTS.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

pcalvert

#7 Post by pcalvert »

I haven't tried it, but you may be able to install a newer version of Chromium on Debian Jessie using the Nix package manager.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

No_windows

#8 Post by No_windows »

Just use Chrome. It's kept up to date.

ladnalo

#9 Post by ladnalo »

GarryRicketson wrote:What makes it so hard to just not use a out dated, insecure browser ?
My question was about the technical reasons of chromium not getting updated in Debian Jessie LTS. It wasn't my intention to use an outdated, insecure browser. Btw, I'm using the latest google-chrome-stable on my Debian Jessie box.
GarryRicketson wrote:and then Debian Jessie, is getting pretty close to being outdated and not supported as well
For me outdated means rock solid and even more stable. What's being actively developed is generally unstable. What isn't being actively developed but is only being maintained, is generally stable. Debian Jessie is only maintained, so it's getting even more stable as time goes by. Also, it's still supported for more than a year from now. I wouldn't ring an alarm bell on that.
GarryRicketson wrote:Logic should give you the solution, try using it.
Thanks for the arrogant answer. Next time please try to understand my question, instead of giving me lessons on the first place.
Last edited by ladnalo on 2019-04-05 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

ladnalo

#10 Post by ladnalo »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:For Firefox & Chromium the entire package is rebuilt and Google don't provide an ESR version (unlike Mozilla) so it's quite hard work to keep up.
A lot of packages in Debian don't have an ESR / LTS version provided by their authors, still maintainers can keep up with bug fixes and security updates, merely pulled/backported from upstream or the latest version.