Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to create Launchpad PPA from binary

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
nasa8x

How to create Launchpad PPA from binary

#1 Post by nasa8x »

I have package geekcash-1.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz download at https://github.com/GeekCash/geekcash/releases
How to create Launchpad PPA from this binary (geekcash-1.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz). 

I used the command:

cd geekcash-1.0.1

dh_make --indep --createorig

debuild -S -sa -kF11623B6
cd ..
dput ppa:geekcash/ppa geekcash_1.0.1-1_source.changes
Uploaded success but not see anything at Launchpad

My purpose to use the repository is as follows:
sudo add-apt-ppo repository: geekcash/ppa -y
sudo apt-get install geekcash
Then I can call the library everywhere:
geekcashd

Someone wrote an article or tutorial video to me or someone else based on that to do. A 30k Geek (GeekCash) reward is given to you after the job is complete.

Thanks and appreciate the help!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to create Launchpad PPA from binary

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

PPAs are for Ubuntu and are not compatible with Debian.

Use an openSUSE Build Service repository instead, they offer Debian packages, guide here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130057
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Not to mention that geekcash-1.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz just contains a precompiled amd64 linux binary. It would be better to build geekcash from the source to make it available for i386; possibly even ARM and ARM64 architectures that are available for Stretch on the OBS.

dh-make also just provides a skeleton template for debianizing source. It's not smart enough to cover most situations, so the maintainer has to go in and actually customize most of the basic files in there to get a successful package build.

It is possible to make debs for the other architecture's precompiled binaries if you don't want to build from source. I have a similar sort of setup for the Pale Moon browser binaries that users can fall back to when I can't build it from source...like some Buster update broke source builds there. :( You can look at my debian folder to get an idea how to handle that.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ckbinaries
MX Linux packager and developer

nasa8x

#4 Post by nasa8x »

Ok thanks a lot