Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backport build CFLAGS/LIB_CFLAGS issue

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
VA1DER

Backport build CFLAGS/LIB_CFLAGS issue

#1 Post by VA1DER »

I recently made a backport of OpenSSL 1.1.1a to Debian Jessie (using the Buster source package). One issue I had to deal with was where both -fPIC and -fPIE were appearing on the library and DSO CFLAGS lines.

I don't have a more up-to-date straight Debian system to play with, all I have are Debian Jessie servers and Linux Mint desktops based on Ubuntu 18.04. In Jessie, the build process is putting -fPIE on all the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS lines. On the LIB_CFLAGS and DSO_CFLAGS this was causing a problem in that the -fPIE came later than -fPIC and was overriding it. I was able to correct the problem by a minor patch to the makefile template that reversed the order so that -fPIC came at the end, but this is inelegant.

What I am trying to understand is where in the build process the -fPIE cflag came from. On Ubuntu 18.04 systems it doesn't appear at all. On my Debian Jessie systems it's not coming from dpkg-buildflags - the output for that will be below. I want to fix my Jessie backport so that it's the Debian build system that is patched, and not the upstream makefile template, but I don't understand the build process well enough to even know where that flag is coming from. I do know it appears nowhere in upstream in any template or script, only in one comment about Android.

Suggestions on where it might be coming from?

Thanks

Code: Select all

~$ dpkg-buildflags
CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
FCFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong
FFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong
GCJFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
OBJCFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
OBJCXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security

stevepusser

Re: Backport build CFLAGS/LIB_CFLAGS issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The default flags might be influenced by what version of debhelper you're using. I'm pretty sure the newest you can get for Jessie is 10.2 in jessie-backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

Re: Backport build CFLAGS/LIB_CFLAGS issue

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The default flags might be influenced by what version of debhelper you're using, and/or by specifying hardening flags in the debian/rules file. I'm pretty sure the newest you can get for Jessie is 10.2 in jessie-backports.

However, a patch to the Makefile isn't that inelegant a workaround, as long as you stick in debian/patches with

Code: Select all

dpkg-source --commit
You can also create various Ubuntu and Debian build platforms on one install with pbuilder or sbuild--build Buster i386 packages on a Jessie amd64 host platform, for example, or Jessie packages on your Mint install, through the magic of chroots.
MX Linux packager and developer