Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

when will gnome disk utility be updated into debian ?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
delina

when will gnome disk utility be updated into debian ?

#1 Post by delina »

I am trying to use btrfs and the new version of the disk utility seems to have it patched so we can set up btrfs drives. the version in debian now is just not friendly to btrfs.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: when will gnome disk utility be updated into debian ?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The next stable release should be out by September-ish, the package versions will be bumped then.

I'm not sure if btrfs makes much sense with Debian stable, the upstream documentation recommends that the most recent kernel image & btrfs-progs version is used, which won't be the case for stable.

Having said that, I use btrfs myself with Debian stretch and I'm very pleased with it :)
deadbang

delina

#3 Post by delina »

I have btrfs running on 9 drives and am in process of changing more of my ext4 over to btrfs. but I ran into 1 problem with 12 tb drives they seem to have a unusually long precheck at bootup and fstab fails them. I am looking for a work around for that.

I installed opensuse and well its yast gui tools and such are really more polished. This is were i got to looking at that gnome disk utility and found that in the developer version they had added ability to use some of the btrfs switches.

I was considering switching to open suse but ran into a compatability or driver problem with the video on this acer workstation I used were the video just flashes on bootup.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

delina wrote:I ran into 1 problem with 12 tb drives they seem to have a unusually long precheck at bootup and fstab fails them
Add x.systemd-automount as an fstab option for the drives.
deadbang

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

In the future Ext2/3/4 filesystems will be upgradable to Btrfs. While a btrfs-convert utility has existed for some time, its use is presently not recommended.
from here last update on site 2018-12-29

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1

I lost my first Arch Linux system[1] to a botched ext4 → btrfs conversion :cry:

[1] I don't backup.
deadbang

delina

#7 Post by delina »

well after spending an hour trying to install arch and finding it needed some drivers i gave up on it. just way to much command line needed to run it. It seems to have more newer btrfs code but just to hard to set it up.