update-rc.d

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

update-rc.d

Postby sprucio » 2005-08-17 01:14

I've been doing some research about update-rc.d in conjunction with Red Hat's tool: chkconfig.

I believe update-rc.d allows you to do almost everything that chkconfig allows you to do with the exception of listing the services.

For example: chkconfig --list
will list all the runlevels with states such as on or off.

I think it would be great if update-rc.d has this functionality.

How do you guys feel about this and who would I contact to even request something like this?
sprucio

Re: update-rc.d

Postby jobezone » 2005-09-09 22:12

sprucio wrote:I've been doing some research about update-rc.d in conjunction with Red Hat's tool: chkconfig.

I believe update-rc.d allows you to do almost everything that chkconfig allows you to do with the exception of listing the services.

For example: chkconfig --list
will list all the runlevels with states such as on or off.

I think it would be great if update-rc.d has this functionality.

How do you guys feel about this and who would I contact to even request something like this?

As far as request that change, try to learn which package contains update-rc.d. You can use
Code: Select all
 dpkg -S `locate update-rc.d`
for this. Then, use reportbug to file the bug as a wishlist for that package.

As far as places to more widely sugest this, i don't know, but one of Debian's mailing list may be a good place. You can see their list in http://lists.debian.org
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!
jobezone

Postby Jeroen » 2005-09-10 02:12

Note that if you have 'file-rc' installed, you'll have replaced the rcN.d directories full of symlinks with just one configuration file: /etc/runlevel.conf. I vastly prefer that over the symlink mess, and then you don't need any tools, just your favourite text editor will do. I use it on all the systems I maintain. An example excerpt of my /etc/runlevel.conf:

Code: Select all
# <sort> <off-> <on-levels>     <command>
01      0,1,6   -               /etc/init.d/gdm
02      -       S               /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs
20      0,1,6   2,3,4,5         /etc/init.d/mailman
91      0,1,6   2,3,4,5         /etc/init.d/apache2
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Postby lacek » 2005-09-10 16:50

file-rc is good, it's just a bit interesting that dpkg thinks that installing it in place of sysv-rc is "potentially dangerous"... That may frighten away most of the people to use it...
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Return to Debian Development