Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Call me old-fashioned...

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
hkoster1

Call me old-fashioned...

#1 Post by hkoster1 »

...but I like to decide for myself when to upgrade packages (with Aptitude) and whether or not to put my computer to sleep or hibernation. Disabling the related systemd entries and packages in Buster (with Gnome) takes too much effort in my view, but I've finally managed to do it.
Now, there's one puzzle left when booting Buster: almost immediately there's a boot message saying "Restarting from hibernation", which even appears when I'm just rebooting and when the system clearly has not been hibernating. Not a release-critical bug, but an annoyance nonetheless. How would I get rid of that message? FWIW, I'm running Buster in a VMware Fusion VM.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

dotlj

Re: Call me old-fashioned...

#2 Post by dotlj »

...but I like to decide for myself when to upgrade packages (with Aptitude) and whether or not to put my computer to sleep or hibernation.
+1 me too.
I use

Code: Select all

apt update
apt dist-upgrade
to do the updates, I have removed the unattended-upgrades package.

I use the system settings to change power management not to hibernate or suspend, to do nothing when I close the lid and to power off when I press the power button.
Debian allows users to really make choices and set up their systems the way they want them.
I'm using an SSD, so start up and shut down are fast.