Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Who maintains the list of assigned UIDs?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
VA1DER

Who maintains the list of assigned UIDs?

#1 Post by VA1DER »

When a new system user is required for a package, who is the authority for assigning it? I am assuming there must be some list maintained somewhere to avoid UID conflicts. Is that list published somewhere?

neuraleskimo

Re: Who maintains the list of assigned UIDs?

#2 Post by neuraleskimo »

VA1DER wrote:When a new system user is required for a package, who is the authority for assigning it? I am assuming there must be some list maintained somewhere to avoid UID conflicts. Is that list published somewhere?
It seems you posted the same question here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142378
GarryRicketson gave you good advice and I would suggest following the links he gave. To his excellent advice, let me underscore the something he wrote
There is no real technical difference between the system and regular (normal) users. Typically system users are created when installing the OS and new packages.
Yes, root is always 0 and most of the users from the initial install end-up the same, but you are the authority. Let me give you a concrete example: on one of my systems gdm has UID 117 and on another system sddm has uid 117 (both are fresh installs of Debian Buster from the same alpha media).

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Who maintains the list of assigned UIDs?

#3 Post by p.H »

AFAIK, system users have no predefined UIDs. System UIDs are dynamically assigned when system users are created.
Same with system groups.