Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

systemd-homed: home_on_a_stick

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Head_on_a_Stick

systemd-homed: home_on_a_stick

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Portable $HOME is coming with systemd v244 (or maybe 245):

Reinventing home directories with systemd-homed

Video here: https://streaming.media.ccc.de/asg2019/relive/164
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: systemd-homed: home_on_a_stick

#2 Post by CwF »

Yep, I like.
Much is why I use layered cows and vm's. Being ignorant and smart, I've hit many of these questions in designing what I have.
Inherited trust is something I've harped on elsewhere, and why do system things rely on home, and a user experience relies on things outside home...So much to fix in this 'superior' linux world.

In one setup I've played with, a usbkey containing the user is not only the /home but also a second layer cow to a read only image provided by the server, and also the luks hardware key for accessing that base image. Clumsy, I just brought the virtual whole system image along for the ride. And of course, nothing to do with laptops, more plugging into a 'terminal' with a system-on-a-stick without having the whole system on the stick. More narrowly focused I suppose...At least the usb-stick plugged in eleswhere is gobbly-gook unless you know what it is.