Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is apt dependency resolution different as that of apt-get?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
L_V

Re: Is apt dependency resolution different as that of apt-ge

#16 Post by L_V »

Here is a good example to see the difference:

Code: Select all

apt search brotli
apt-cache search brotli

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#17 Post by fabien »

Thank you all for your replies.
I used to use apt-get since aptitude was no more a recommended method for release to release upgrade because I don't like to mix this kind of utilities.
It's now absolutely clear that apt and apt-get can ultimately be considered as the same utilities as far as dependency resolution and package management are concerned. I therefore will indiscriminately use apt or apt-get.
Until now, I've noticed two apt enhancements over apt-get: the progress bar and dpkg messages enlightenment; the latter been of particular interest when performing distribution upgrades, I'm going to use apt in this case from now on.

In addition to @Head_on_a_Stick demonstration, I made my own test by performing three upgrades from Stretch to Buster with apt-get, apt and aptitude. After cleaning up remaining packages from Stretch, package list was exactly the same in the three cases, which is not good news for the relevance of my test since even aptitude did the same job.
Last edited by fabien on 2020-02-01 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by wizard10000 »

apt and apt-get don't have feature parity; e.g. apt doesn't support --dselect-upgrade

This is why apt-get is recommended for scripts :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin