Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

newbie ponders Totem

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
nubc

newbie ponders Totem

#1 Post by nubc »

Totem is the default movie player in Etch 4.0, yet it has known sync bugs because of the xine engine libxine1 1.1.2

This sync bug has been reported: Forwarded bugs--Important bugs
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... ble#_1_3_5

I can confirm the 200 millisecond delay. It's annoying.

When are you gonna upgrade the xine engine?

In the meantime, can you provide a tutorial for getting your default movie player to work, ie. upgrade libxine1 to libxine1 1.1.4?
Last edited by nubc on 2007-05-04 12:24, edited 3 times in total.

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

A way woud be to use libxine1 from Experimental. Just do this and you should have a newer libxine1:
[Script] wrote:su
echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main non-free contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get -t experimental install libxine1
On my machine this updated libxine1 to version 1.1.6, is that good for you or does it have to be version 1.1.4?
Last edited by thamarok on 2007-05-02 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

I've done the upgrade elsewhere, and the upgrade breaks xine. But this breakage is recoverable by also upgrading libgcrypt to libgcrypt 1.2.3

I'm a Debian newbie, I dont wanna be the guinea pig.

thamarok

#4 Post by thamarok »

nubc wrote:I've done the upgrade elsewhere, and the upgrade breaks xine. But this breakage is recoverable by also upgrading libgcrypt to libgcrypt 1.2.3

I'm a Debian newbie, I dont wanna be the guinea pig.
What version of Debian are you using? libgcrypt11 version 1.2.3 is available in Etch [stable]

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

Etch 4.0, gnome, default install from DVD

thamarok

#6 Post by thamarok »

nubc wrote:Etch 4.0, gnome, default install from DVD
Now comes the question: If you have Etch installed, why did you need to "upgrade" libgcrypt11 to version 1.2.3 if that version is already in Etch?

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

I havent performed the libxine1 upgrade. I didnt know that was the version of libgcrypt in Etch 4.0 until you just informed me. On the other hand, there may be unforseen difficulties in the upgrade, that's why I requested a (verified) tutorial from someone who has done the upgrade.

After all, we are talking about Etch's default movie player. It doesnt work. Would it not be in your interest to fix it?

IMO you should at least provide a competent tutorial for fixing Totem.
Last edited by nubc on 2007-05-04 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

thamarok

#8 Post by thamarok »

First, did libxine1 from Experimental work? It is somehow unclear to me.
Second, what exactly is the problem which makes Totem unusable? And by the way, Totem isn't Debian's default movie player but rather Gnome's.
Oh and thirdly, while I am a good-hearted man (DeanLinkous you just keep silent, ok? :) ) I have no interest in fixing Totem because I use MPlayer (visualizations to hell! ;) )

nubc

#9 Post by nubc »

By "your interests" I meant Debian devs, Debian enthusiasts who presumably would like there to be more Debian users. If Debian were my baby, and many people were anticipating the new version, I would certainly want basic functions, like DVD playback, to work out of the box.

mdevour

#10 Post by mdevour »

Dear nubc,

This forum is mostly people using Debian who are here so we can help each other and newcomers like you to work out these sorts of problems. But we are not the Debian Project leadership, or the developers, or otherwise the "you" or "your" that represent Debian. I'm afraid the project is more diffuse than that.

As volunteers, we're all happy, even eager, to help you figure out what slipped out of whack in your installation, and if, working together, we discover a bug, then we'll encourage and instruct you how to file a bug report to the developer team.

The competency here is high (at least in others!), so if you're game, the problem is solvable.

What operating system or other Linux distribution are you coming from?

Be well,

Mike D.

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

Linux Mint 2.1, 2.2

Totem has same problem in Mint. Since Debian is the base OS of all this, I just wonder why buggy libxine1 (1.1.2) is still in use.

Maybe because this older version plays Real media, whereas later versions of xine engine lost that capability.

As previously noted, the bug has been reported, as "important", so there is little for me to do, except wait until Debian fixes it.

I thought the xine engine would be upgraded in Feisty Fawn. I am just disappointed that the newest version of Debian has this old problem.

thamarok

#12 Post by thamarok »

nubx wrote:..Feisty Fawn..
:roll:

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

pecking order:
Debian > Ubuntu > Linux Mint

If Debian doesnt get it right, I dont suppose Linux Mint will be right either.

mdevour

#14 Post by mdevour »

Ach, then you understand the situation well enough, nubc...

There are so many areas that still need attention within the Linux world, it's sometimes hard to appreciate just how swiftly progress is being made.

Be well,

Mike D.

plugwash

#15 Post by plugwash »

unfortunately the only way to get dvd playback working on linux without spending money is to use software that is illegal in many countries under the DMCA and similar laws (libdvdcss).

its a sad state of affairs but there isn't really much the likes of debian can do about it. They are too big to slip under the radar and they are both non commercial and anti propietry so they can't really include a commerial player either both for cost and freedom reasons.

nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

I was mistaken: VLC doesnt play DVDs well on this computer, so I guess I will have to fix Totem.

Code: Select all

debian:/home/user# apt-get -t experimental install libxine1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation: