Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Renaming of Ion3 in Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.

What name should Debian use?

Poll ended at 2007-05-14 12:23

Union (both "un-ion" and a pun on what is actually a "fork")
26%
Fission (pun on a particle "breaking up")
32%
Radical (pun on "radical ion" + managing the root ("radix") window)
No votes
Ion3-deviant (play on Debian + variant and the idea that modified versions are broken)
No votes
Iceparticle (following an established trend...)
42%

Total votes: 31

DeanLinkous

#61 Post by DeanLinkous »

tuomov wrote: (The architecture would be e.g. a small database of triples (package, upstream-version, checked-when) downloaded by apt* update. The tool could even make the check on install instead of the package, for packages that ask to complain when upstream-version does not match, or checked-when is too old (or this information is not available). Users could also use this service to check whether other packages they are about to install are too old to bother with.)
Sounds interesting... so are you volunteering to work on this project? ;)
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Pobega

#62 Post by Pobega »

Is the Ion3 package staying in the main repository, or is it moving to contrib/non-free?
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

benh

#63 Post by benh »

Pobega wrote:Is the Ion3 package staying in the main repository, or is it moving to contrib/non-free?
It's moving to non-free.

trey

#64 Post by trey »

benh wrote:
Pobega wrote:Is the Ion3 package staying in the main repository, or is it moving to contrib/non-free?
It's moving to non-free.
Thank you!

Lux

#65 Post by Lux »

I was going to suggest "oblivion" as a potential new name but Ion is a very nice window manager and I'm glad that Debian keeps it available via apt-get. Non-free seems like the right place for it.
"Hit the philistines three times over the head with the Elisp reference manual."
-- Michael A. Petonic --

AgenT

#66 Post by AgenT »

tuomov wrote:It's a dirty brute-force hack that I wouldn't particularly like as a user... the package checks the site on install for newer versions. Better solutions would demand only a bit more architecture, that isn't there, but wouldn't be difficult to add if people could be arsed.
There already exists this functionality in deb files: uscan.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/516
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/uscan.html

benh

#67 Post by benh »

AgenT wrote:
tuomov wrote:It's a dirty brute-force hack that I wouldn't particularly like as a user... the package checks the site on install for newer versions. Better solutions would demand only a bit more architecture, that isn't there, but wouldn't be difficult to add if people could be arsed.
There already exists this functionality in deb files: uscan.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/516
http://dehs.alioth.debian.org/uscan.html
That's what I used, in the postinst script. tuomov thinks that APT should fetch this information and let the user know when packages to be installed are out of date.

joeyh

ian

#68 Post by joeyh »

How about ian, unambiguously not covered by any supposed trademarks about terms referring to charged atoms, clearly having something to do with Debian, and if you happen to mispronouce it just right, sounds not unlike the word we're used to.

Vorlon came up with this one in jest, but it's stuck with me and I sorta like it. Ian M. may not. :-)
see shy jo

joeyh

oh and

#69 Post by joeyh »

I should note that putting code that is perfectly able to be free software in non-free is a nonstarter for me. I won't use such an ion3 package, and I won't be suprised if someone does whatever is necessary to put it in main, be that a renaming, or whatever.
see shy jo

lexande

Re: oh and

#70 Post by lexande »

joeyh wrote:I should note that putting code that is perfectly able to be free software in non-free is a nonstarter for me. I won't use such an ion3 package, and I won't be suprised if someone does whatever is necessary to put it in main, be that a renaming, or whatever.
Why has nobody done this yet?

lexande

#71 Post by lexande »

It seems somebody actually did, calling it particleman, but it has since disappeared from sid. Anybody know why?