Why not a restricted-modules package in non-free?

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Should there be a restricted-modules package in non-free?

Yes, it'd be very convenient
59%
No, it's not worth
19%
Debian is for experts, use Windows or Ubuntu instead!
22%

Total votes : 27

Postby Vergil » 2007-07-27 01:38

BioTube wrote:That's about HURD, the third(or fourth?) UNIX clone to date and the only I know that's been in development so long without reaching 1.0. IMO, people who work on the HURD are wasting their time(forking Linux or BSD would probably be more productive).

I bet people working on the hurd don't care about being productive (assuming that means having more installs) but doing something different and unique.
Vergil

Postby BioTube » 2007-07-27 01:45

By productive, I mean not spending ten year in development without ever having a functional product. Wine shouldn't be able to implement the Windows API perfectly on Linux before the HURD becomes usable.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby alleluia20 » 2007-07-27 13:15

Maybe the thread is derivating into an off-topic about HURD (It was Linus who said "quit drugs and you'll forget about HURD, wasn't he? :-D )

Of course, I am not talking about doing illegal things. But if nvidia and fglrx are now in the repository, the sources of madwifi and uvc are now (and I have to run m-a everytime I upgrade the kernel...), why not make binaries and a metapackage restricted-modules? No illegalities would be added...
alleluia20

Postby BioTube » 2007-07-27 17:04

It would just be inconvenient for the mirrors.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Previous

Return to Debian Development