Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A preview about the Lenny release on debian-devel-announce

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Telemachus

A preview about the Lenny release on debian-devel-announce

#1 Post by Telemachus »

An interesting little preview of plans for Lenny -

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00013.html

perlhacker14

#2 Post by perlhacker14 »

Full IPv6 support? Why do we need that- does any one actually use IPv6 at the moment?
I am glad KDE4 is there finally... Though, I do not use KDE at the moment, I might see what is new.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

With Debian's long release cycle, I can see why Lenny should fully support IPv6. It might just come into widespread use before Lenny's successor.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by kink »

perlhacker14 wrote:Full IPv6 support? Why do we need that- does any one actually use IPv6 at the moment?
Getting support in the software is the first blocker of actually using IPv6, so it's not a bad idea to make sure at least that part is taken care of. If we adopt IPv6 in as much software as possible, we can work out most kinks before IPv6 is in widespread use. So it's a good thing to make it possible.

There's not yet a killer advantage however to IPv6 so I don't see it being widely used soon.

plugwash

#5 Post by plugwash »

BioTube wrote:With Debian's long release cycle, I can see why Lenny should fully support IPv6. It might just come into widespread use before Lenny's successor.
That was a release goal for etch too. The fact is that release goals are not binding on anyone so I wouldn't read too much into them.

I don't think that kicking out programs that don't support IPV6 would be a very popular idea and frankly there are only a limited number of users/developers who are interested enough in both IPV6 and the app in question to add support.