Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ETA of software in repositories

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
gabriel

ETA of software in repositories

#1 Post by gabriel »

Hello
I'm curious what is the estimated time of arrival of new pieces of bigger software in repo's.
I mean, programs like openoffice 2.0 . Is there sense in waiting for it to appear in the repositories , or is it better to do it myself. Just curious. I'm currently using a stable release. Thanks :)
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

geoffb

Re: ETA of software in repositories

#2 Post by geoffb »

gabriel wrote:Hello
I'm curious what is the estimated time of arrival of new pieces of bigger software in repo's.
I mean, programs like openoffice 2.0 . Is there sense in waiting for it to appear in the repositories , or is it better to do it myself. Just curious. I'm currently using a stable release. Thanks :)
In which repositories?

I already have 2.0. But then, that's on etch. If you're wondering when Open Office 2.0 will go to stable, you only have to ask when etch will become the new stable release (replacing sarge). That could be a while.

gabriel

#3 Post by gabriel »

Oh yes, I'm using stable release with stable repositories.
Oh, so it's THAT long. Thanks :)
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by kink »

stable gets updated as a whole at once, when a new release is made. Most people consider this the big advantage of stable, since when it works, it will keep on working. It's estimated that the release of etch is about one year away.

raju.mailinglists

#5 Post by raju.mailinglists »

kink wrote: It's estimated that the release of etch is about one year away.
Many might already know this. But the OP seem to be a bit new to Debian. So I will be a bit more pedantic.

Debian stable will be released only "when it is ready". No one can tell when the new stable will be released. If you want to have a ballpark figure on the date of next stable release, I suggest you take a look at the release dates of previous stable releases and decide for yourself.

Release dates of previous stable releases can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

Jeroen

#6 Post by Jeroen »

Right, that used to be what's being said about Debian, but the release team is now really targetting a release according to a strict schedule, in order to reduce the delay in releases. It's only by setting a strict schedule that the trend of longer and longer periods between stable releases can be reversed.

So yes, Debian etch will release december 2006.

Still, Debian will only release when ready, so if for some reason things go wrong and etch isn't ready by December 2006, the release will be postponed, but I do believe the current schedule is doable, and a lot of people are motivated to make it happen as scheduled.