Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reporting bugs against Stable?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
cristoper

Reporting bugs against Stable?

#1 Post by cristoper »

I'm new to Debian (and linux in general), and am currently using Etch. I'm trying to understand the release cycles; that is, just how frozen is the Stable release? If I find a bug in Etch, should I report it? or is bug reporting only for Testing/Unstable users because bugs (except for security issues) are no longer fixed once a release is declared Stable?

I'm thinking I should upgrade to Lenny, see if the bug still exists, and then report it if it does. Is that the recommended way to do things?

Thanks for any explanations and bug-reporting etiquette tips.

- Chris Burkhardt

rickh

#2 Post by rickh »

I would urge newbies to be very cautious about reporting bugs. Certainly, you might want to first describe your problem here, and see if anyone else can reproduce it ... If they can't, it's probably not a bug. If it is a bug, somebody has probably already reported it.

Here is an excellent Howto for using the Debian "reportbug" tool.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

cristoper

#3 Post by cristoper »

Thanks for the reply, rickh. I've actually read that guide on reportbug already 8)

Good advice about making sure what I'm experiencing is really a bug and that it hasn't already been reported. I have searched the web and found several other people who are experiencing it, as well as a Ubuntu bug report which included a fix. There is no report of it at bugs.debian.org; but that doesn't mean it isn't already fixed in the Lenny repositories (right?).

I guess my question is: should a Stable user ever bother with reporting [minor] bugs? And if the bug is fixed, what are the chances it will make it back to Etch/Stable?

- Chris Burkhardt

plugwash

#4 Post by plugwash »

Only very serious bugs will be fixed through the stable point release process.

In general if you plan to report bugs you should keep a lenny or sid system arround so you can check if they still apply and avoid wasting the maintainers time with bugs that have already been fixed.

cristoper

#5 Post by cristoper »

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks. Upgrading to Lenny now...