Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel is not as it should. (sound)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
googlah

Kernel is not as it should. (sound)

#1 Post by googlah »

Hey guys,

Having a fairly new computer here with a fairly new motherboard. It's actually a Gigabyte P35 DS3 (rev1.1) and I've recently started playing with Debian Etch. The stable one of course.

In this release 2.6.18 is the current stable kernel, and with this one the sound does not work. But do I temporarily switch to lenny repositories, and install linux-image-2.6.24, the sound WORKS. Great so far.

But something is odd here, in the volume control the slider for setting output should be on PCM. That should be the "normal" scenario here which is pretty much the case on most sound cards. But what I need to do is to add slider "Side" to the control, and from there raise the slide to get any sound at all. "Side", like what the heck? It's not the side speakers.

This can be quite hard for some people to find. So I think.. it should be changed to PCM. Which is set high as default. So, should the kernel dudes be notified about this issue? Was just going to tell about my experience here and what should be "right".

Great forum btw.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

Did you also upgrade alsa-base from testing? I would recommend that at least. Testing is actually quite stable.

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy alsa-base
alsa-base:
  Installed: 1.0.16-1.1
  Candidate: 1.0.16-1.1
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.16-1.1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.13-5 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
You might also want to tell us what your soundcard is. Let's see this:

lspci
And

cat /proc/asound/cards
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

googlah

#3 Post by googlah »

Nope. I left alsa-base untouched, only updated from 2.6.18 to 2.6.24. Here's some output.

lspci gives:

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

cat /proc/asound/cards gives:

0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf9100000 irq 21
I'll now try update alsa-base to latest from testing (Lenny, right) and give some update regarding this issue.

googlah

#4 Post by googlah »

Okay, just updated to latest alsa-base but there is still no luck. I attach a picture here, showing everything what I mean. This is what it should NOT be like. I should not be forced to add "Side" to make the sound work. Something is wrong. :)

Should be enough with PCM and Front Mic, does somebody agree? So is it the kernel or alsa-base mission to fix this?