Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will Lenny release without NVIDIA?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Gomer_X

#31 Post by Gomer_X »

AdrianTM wrote:Would that be true for Sid kernels too? I haven't had this problem. In the list of packages I see that Xen enabled kernels
have "xen" in their name, maybe you got the wrong kernel.
See above. One of the solutions is to use packages from Sid, which doesn't have this problem.

All 2.6.25 kernels in Lenny are Xen enabled. Pick any nvidia thread for the details. It's been discussed.

The best solution seems to be to avoid the nvidia proprietary drivers. It is the path I've chosen.

In other news, Intel will be manufacturing graphics chips for use in discrete graphics cards starting 2009 or 2010.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10005391-64.html
I'll be standing in that line when the time comes. :)

AdrianTM

#32 Post by AdrianTM »

All 2.6.25 kernels in Lenny are Xen enabled.
Debian should release kernels that are not xen enabled. Period.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Gomer_X

#33 Post by Gomer_X »

AdrianTM wrote:
All 2.6.25 kernels in Lenny are Xen enabled.
Debian should release kernels that are not xen enabled. Period.
Feel free to notify the responsible parties of your opinion. :)

Nvidia should open their code. Microsoft should play nice. My wife should treat me like the king of the universe... And then there's reality, which is where I live.

actionM

#34 Post by actionM »

AdrianTM wrote:What is the problem can't you install the driver from there: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Is really not that hard...
1. you need kernel headers installed and linked to /usr/src/linux
2. stop the X
3. run installer.

That's pretty much it.
Have you used Lenny lately you ignorant bastard?
--------------------
Debian Lenny - Xfce4

AdrianTM

#35 Post by AdrianTM »

actionM wrote:Have you used Lenny lately you ignorant bastard?
No, you analphabet. I'm a Sid user, and thus I have the privilege of having non-xen kernels (if I decide to use stock kernel that is)

actionM

#36 Post by actionM »

LOL, ummm speaking of ignorance. Can I just compile my kernel in Lenny to not use Xen?
--------------------
Debian Lenny - Xfce4

AdrianTM

#37 Post by AdrianTM »

actionM wrote:LOL, ummm speaking of ignorance. Can I just compile my kernel in Lenny to not use Xen?
I don't see what can stop you.

infinitycircuit

#38 Post by infinitycircuit »

It seems like they will make it in:

http://www.khensu.org/index.php?catid=3&blogid=1

s3a

#39 Post by s3a »

do those exist in PCI express (I would really rather not have much graphics card hobbled by PCI and most current boards don't have AGP).
ATI RADEON X600 PRO

It is cheap. It is PCI-Express. It can handle games about the generation of Doom 3. The open source driver has good 2D and 3D support for it (or so I've read).

hkoster1

#40 Post by hkoster1 »

It seems that the latest nvidia source package has now landed in testing/Lenny, so there's a good chance that it will also be released when Lenny goes stable. It compiled fine against the 2.6.26 kernel in Sid.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

rickh

#41 Post by rickh »

It seems that the latest nvidia source package has now landed in testing/Lenny,
Are you sure about that?
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

hkoster1

#42 Post by hkoster1 »

rickh wrote:
It seems that the latest nvidia source package has now landed in testing/Lenny,
Are you sure about that?
You're right... :oops: Reinstalled Lenny/Sid on newly-built desktop and on my laptop this past weekend (both use Nvidia graphics), but only installed Nvidia (from Sid) on the desktop so far... Ran

Code: Select all

apt-show-versions |grep unstable
on the laptop, and came to the wrong conclusion; will now install Nvidia (the Debian way, of course) on my laptop the moment I've posted this. Sorry for the false alarm.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

BioTube

#43 Post by BioTube »

The guy who compiles the kernel for Lenny's developed a Xen fetish.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

bartos

#44 Post by bartos »

AdrianTM wrote:What is the problem can't you install the driver from there: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Is really not that hard...
1. you need kernel headers installed and linked to /usr/src/linux
2. stop the X
3. run installer.

That's pretty much it.
I did a net install of beta 2 on Sept 3 the above worked for me also with a PNY 8600 GTS.
52841 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10568.107 FPS

mystery dance

#45 Post by mystery dance »

I prefer to do things "The Debian Way" and I prefer to have an unmixed system.... so I'm hoping there will be Nvidia drivers available in Lenny when it finally goes stable. I did a clean install of Lenny on a spare machine and I'm only gettting 800x600 with a Geforce 440. This does not make me happy.

Please don't tell me to change video cards. I have multiple computers with Nvidia cards in them.

I could move to Ubuntu... but Debian is cleaner. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

-Mystery Dance

Eck

#46 Post by Eck »

As long as you have an /etc/apt/apt.conf setup with the default release being testing you will only need the nvidia stuff from unstable installed with the t unstable switch after module assistant does its thing. I've been doing it and don't consider mine a mixed system. I'm all lenny except for that.

But don't worry. The modules are already all built as NVidia stands right now in Sid. Only a matter of time before it's all cleared and put into Lenny. There's some bug delaying it but from appearances it sure looks like they're working on getting it into Lenny.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

slowcoach

#47 Post by slowcoach »

Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.

rickh

#48 Post by rickh »

slowcoach wrote:Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's true. 64-bit kernels certainly had the "Xen error" before the Debian Nvidia drivers were fixed.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

lolanoob

#49 Post by lolanoob »

Lavene wrote:I have come up with a method that will, with 100% certainty, end all your Nvidia problems:
  • 1) Grab your Nvidia card
    2) Place the card on a hard, stable surface
    3) Grab a hammer
    4) Whack the Nvidia card with the hammer.
I'm seriously contemplating applying the above method to my own Nvidia hardware. Since I use laptops exclusively it might leave me without a computer all together but what the heck... I might even get a life...
AMEN! :twisted:

slowcoach

#50 Post by slowcoach »

rickh wrote:
slowcoach wrote:Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's true. 64-bit kernels certainly had the "Xen error" before the Debian Nvidia drivers were fixed.
I have been using the nVidia proprietary drivers originally with Etch and for the past few months with Lenny without problems, but what I remembered reading actually turned out to be referring to the vanilla AMD64 kernel which has no Xen support but has currently to be patched by the distributions to add Dom0 and DomU. This work is apparently being done upstream by the Fedora Dev's but is proving problematic at the moment, but obviously it will be sorted eventually and the the nVidia proprietary drivers will be borked, unless nVidia change their driver.
Hopefully everything will resolve eventually one way or another.
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.