Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A couple things to do until the revolution

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rickh

A couple things to do until the revolution

#1 Post by rickh »

Mod edit: Removed incredibly off topic political flamebait

2nd, Help get Lenny released before the Inauguration.

http://blog.schmehl.info//2008/10/07#releasing-lenny
For users
Even as a "simple user" (aren't we all just users?) you may help getting Lenny released. Some things you can do:

If you are running stable (aka Etch), you could consider upgrading to Lenny and see, if everything works fine. Currently there are no detailed release notes documenting the procedure, so your best way to test upgrades are to:
  • Make backups
    Change your /etc/apt/sources.list
    Run "aptitude update" to get information about new packages
    Run "aptitude install dpkg aptitude apt script" to install the newest package management
    Run "script aptitude full-upgrade"
    Exit the environment of the "script" command, by typing "exit"
If something goes wrong or something unexpected happens, please report it. If you already know a specific package, report a bug against that package. If you don't know, please report a bug describing the problem you experienced to the "upgrade-reports package. If your problem is something, which can't be fixed properly, but should be documented (e.g. hardware support regressions, packages no longer available) please report a bug against the "release-notes" package (Bonus points if you not only report the bug, but also supply a paragraph to be added to the release notes).

The command "script" will log the entire output of the command in the file "typescript". Should something go wrong during the upgrade, please send this file along with your bug report.

If you upgraded succesfully, you should report that, too. There's a template for upgrade reports, which you can use.

Speaking of the release notes: You can take a look at the bugs reported against the release notesand see if you can help there, e.g. by writing a paragraph describing a problem. Install the package "devscripts", (you'll need the version provided by backports.org, and run the script "rc-alert --include-dists TU --include-dist-op", and you'll get a list of release critical bugs open for one of the packages you have installed. Guessing that you have them installed, because you are using them and are interested in them, you should have a very high interest to get these bugs fixed :)

You can try to help, by trying to reproduce them and reporting that to the bug report. There are even some easy bugs, where the maintainer hasn't found the time to fix it, yet. Bug 497290, for example, didn't need deep technical skills. It just needed someone with some time to collect the needed data for the copyright file.

If you speak a language other than English, you might consider joining the translation efforts. While it is to late to translate the debian-installer or the installation guide to a new language for Lenny (perhaps for the next release then?), you could start translating the release notes to a not yet supported language. If you are willing to do so (which can be quite time consuming, especially in the final phase), please contact either your localization team or the debian doc mailing list if there's no local mailing list.

See? Even as a "simple user" without deeper technical knowledge you can help us getting Lenny in shape to be released.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

garrincha

Re: A couple things to do until the revolution

#2 Post by garrincha »

Excellent suggestions for those wary newbies and non-newbies :)

It's about time I upgrade my old server from "etch" to "lenny".

Mod edit: Same as above.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Telemachus

#3 Post by Telemachus »

Just for whatever it's worth, this seems new. Sure, posts that become completely off-topic get locked, but I don't recall seeing a mod simply remove a random (even if strongly worded) political comment before.

Can't say I like this new trend either...
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

garrincha

#4 Post by garrincha »

Wheeww! At least no one jumped on the trend, and it's only fair that Rickh's trend doesn't get locked! :)

Well, it seems that I'll be putting off upgrading my 'etch' server for a while since it seems as reported by Craig here that the release critical bugs in 'lenny' are still too high and that it will be some months before 'lenny' goes stable. I don't use 'lenny' that much and in the case of my 'etch' server, it is just a barebone installation and a similar setup for 'lenny' brought up no known problems so far.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

bernie_d

#5 Post by bernie_d »

Telemachus wrote:
Just for whatever it's worth, this seems new. Sure, posts that become completely off-topic get locked, but I don't recall seeing a mod simply remove a random (even if strongly worded) political comment before.

Can't say I like this new trend either...
It's not really a 'trend' if it's only happened this once.

And it was probably fair enough, the alternative would have been to put the whole thread into offtopic, where that comment belonged (and this one too probably).

Just to say something slightly ontopic, I've been using Lenny on three systems for about a year, and it seems rock solid to me. So no bugs to file.

¡Viva la revolucion!

rickh

#6 Post by rickh »

Was just hoping to provoke an agreement to allow reasonable discussion on a subject that is off-topic, but of some interest to most people in the world. My recommendation would be that Lavene should unlock the "announcement thread," and allow discussion there with the understanding that in 25 days or so, after the election, it will be deleted in it's entirety.

Nevertheless, I've done my bit for free speech on this issue, and won't harangue over it. (Unless, of course, it becomes a really hot topic, lol.)
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

Bro.Tiag

#7 Post by Bro.Tiag »

I'm offended! Not by what richh posted but by the fact that what he did post was removed. To add insult to injury, it was edited out by someone who is not even involved the U.S. Political process.

Cheers

Pick2

#8 Post by Pick2 »

:P Something else to do before the revolution is RTFM :lol:
Forum rules:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=10653
7) ... Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board.
Or maybe #5:
Be polite. ... 'RTFM' has no place on this board.
... Oops :oops:

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#9 Post by mzilikazi »

Personally, I would think that the more experienced users would be fully aware that politics has no place in the Debian forum much less in the development section. shame shame!!
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

rickh

#10 Post by rickh »

mzilikazi wrote:...shame shame!!
It was a "rider" attachment to a totally on topic Development thread. I obviously knew something would be done about it, but as I said before, I hoped that reasonable minds would prevail. IMO, they didn't, but I'm old enough to say with the apostle, "I, in whatsoever condition I find myself, have learned to find contentment."

Shamelessness, might be another word for it.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

AdrianTM

#11 Post by AdrianTM »

It's shamelessnessful.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

tovis

#12 Post by tovis »

I never use "script" command! - I'm using Debian from time of potato, I'm a newbie? Maybe.
Using script was unsuccess, simply "#aptitude full-update" take it.

jheaton5

#13 Post by jheaton5 »

I've been using Lenny for a couple of months now. The only issue I have is with Iceweasle and the version of flash player. I hope the newly revised Debian license will make for peace between them and Mozilla. Ubuntu's Firefox is state of the art.

BioTube

#14 Post by BioTube »

Iceweasel is a renamed, bugfixed version of Firefox. Why would we want to be tethered to Lord Mozilla?
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

jheaton5

#15 Post by jheaton5 »

BioTube wrote:Iceweasel is a renamed, bugfixed version of Firefox. Why would we want to be tethered to Lord Mozilla?
I don't want to be tethered, I just want my browser to work better. Anyone who has used both Iceweasel and the Ubuntu version of Firefox knows there is difference in performance.

rickh

#16 Post by rickh »

I don't want to be tethered, I just want my browser to work better. Anyone who has used both Iceweasel and the Ubuntu version of Firefox knows there is difference in performance.
If Ubuntu is better, run it. Spare us your drivel.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

jheaton5

#17 Post by jheaton5 »

rickh wrote:
If Ubuntu is better, run it. Spare us your drivel.
Great!
I didn't say anything about not liking Debian, nor did I say anything to compare Debian to Ubuntu. I use Debian. It works well on my old i386 box. I'm not sure why complaining about Iceweasel should strike a nerve with any of you elitists. You may be able to boot me off the forum, but you can't stop me from using the OS of my choice. One operating system. Infinite Freedom.

AdrianTM

#18 Post by AdrianTM »

Don't call them elitists, they like it they think that makes them "elite" call them how I do... local tolls.

jheaton5

#19 Post by jheaton5 »

AdrianTM wrote:Don't call them elitists, they like it they think that makes them "elite" call them how I do... local tolls.
Was that "Tolls" or "Trolls".

I'm proud that they know so much. They obviously have spent a lot of time using the system and have developed a tenacious, if paranoid, brand loyalty. But being closed minded to criticism is a latent form of fear. What is it they are afraid of? :?

AdrianTM

#20 Post by AdrianTM »

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be "tools" or "trolls"...