Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE 4.2 Beta 1 in experimental - when?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
ana
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#16 Post by ana »

Folks,

Do not bother in building yourselves, we will be providing unsupported snapshots packages in the next few days.

cassianoleal

it's kde4libs

#17 Post by cassianoleal »

try kde4libs instead of kdelibs5.

cheers!

Jackiebrown

#18 Post by Jackiebrown »

you made my week!

I tried installing my debs on my wife's computer but they had many video problems. I'm pretty sure that was my fault for using the nvidia installer and letting it overwrite the libgl stuff. (My wife has an ATI card.)

Jackiebrown

Re: it's kde4libs

#19 Post by Jackiebrown »

cassianoleal wrote:try kde4libs instead of kdelibs5.

cheers!
cassianoleal - ana is one of the kde debian maintainers.

Ana - do we monitor your blog or will it be posted on the Debian KDE 4 page?

mensch

Re: it's kde4libs

#20 Post by mensch »

Jackiebrown wrote:cassianoleal - ana is one of the kde debian maintainers.
I think he was replying to my question. ;)

Using kde4libs instead of kdelibs5 didn't do the trick either. But since Ana made the happy announcement I think I'm going to wait for the packages.

On the other hand it might be good to now how to make svn packages in the future (when work on 4.3 is under way), so I might try to build it myself anyway.
“I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste. â€

ana
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#21 Post by ana »

ana wrote:Folks,

Do not bother in building yourselves, we will be providing unsupported snapshots packages in the next few days.
As promised:

http://ekaia.org/blog/2008/12/19/debian ... of-kde-42/

cassianoleal

Thanks!

#22 Post by cassianoleal »

Ana,

Thanks for that! I left a comment in your blog as well.

To everyone else who helped: thanks for that too. I was actually getting things right this time. It will become an abandoned project now, though, thanks to the efforts of Ana and the other Debian KDE packagers involved in this.

Cheers!

Jackiebrown

#23 Post by Jackiebrown »

downloading now :D

Jackiebrown

#24 Post by Jackiebrown »

Only pump was I had to force remove libplasma2.

I think I could have skipped that if I had removed the -dev packages before upgrading.

ana
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: Thanks!

#25 Post by ana »

cassianoleal wrote:Ana,

Thanks for that! I left a comment in your blog as well.

To everyone else who helped: thanks for that too. I was actually getting things right this time. It will become an abandoned project now, though, thanks to the efforts of Ana and the other Debian KDE packagers involved in this.
Cassiano, now you are a master building the snaspshots, you have done the first step for start makeing contributions to the kde packaging in Debian ;)

AdrianTM

#26 Post by AdrianTM »

Nice update! Key shortcuts work again, thanks!
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

craigevil

#27 Post by craigevil »

Jackiebrown wrote:Only pump was I had to force remove libplasma2.

I think I could have skipped that if I had removed the -dev packages before upgrading.
Same here and I didn't have any -dev packages for kde4 installed, is that packages no longer needed.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

AdrianTM

#28 Post by AdrianTM »

Two lame questions, if I solve this KDE 4 will be perfect for me.

1. and the most important one, how do you make folder view to preserve it's size when you reboot? It's very annoying that everytime it starts it reverts to a small size window and all the icons that I placed in my favorite place although they retain their position they get "rearranged" when I resize the plasmoid.

2. on one of the machine kicker plasmoid (what's the official name?) is transparent (which is what I want) but on another machine is bluish and not transparent, although I have transparence enabled, how can you change the look/color of the kicker?

BTW, it looks like themes don't work, am I right or it's only my config?

Jackiebrown

#29 Post by Jackiebrown »

The plasma panel is based on the theme

You might make sure that the machine has composite enabled and desktop effects on.

Your first issue I can't duplicate.

Is your folderview fullscreen?

In Appearance change the desktop mode from Desktop to folder view.

AdrianTM

#30 Post by AdrianTM »

It's strange, both desktops have the same theme and composite and desktop effects on. EDIT: on the desktop where I was having transparent kicker I backed up .kde4 and let KDE4 create it's own configurations and I got the same kicker as on the other desktop, now the trick is to figure out how I got it transparent in the first place.

As for the second one, I don't see any option to change from Desktop to folder view.... EDIT: OK, got it... but I was trying to keep folder view half of the screen but the plasmoid doesn't remember it's size at reboot, but this should work fine for my needs.

urjuhh

#31 Post by urjuhh »

what if i want to build the packages myself ? :)

especially when stuff like "Could not connect to kde4.debian.net:80 (82.195.75.82). - connect (113 No route to host)" happens...

now... if only there was some easy way to grab stuff from svn and build packages...

AdrianTM

#32 Post by AdrianTM »

it's down here too.

ana
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#33 Post by ana »

urjuhh wrote:

what if i want to build the packages myself ? :)
Then go, do a checkout, do another checkout of the packaging stuff (it is mentioned early in this thread), build then and have fun. Do not forget send patches if you fix stuff!

ana
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#34 Post by ana »

AdrianTM wrote:it's down here too.
The server hosting this (and some more stuff) decided have a hardware problem in xmas. No idea where it will be back, but since it is hosting more stuff i guess soon.

urjuhh

#35 Post by urjuhh »

ana wrote: Then go, do a checkout, do another checkout of the packaging stuff (it is mentioned early in this thread), build then and have fun. Do not forget send patches if you fix stuff!
easier said than done...

like when theres dependencies like cmake (>= 2.6.2-3~)
or the part when the "apt-get --build source moudule_name" starts downloading something old...