Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CD Installation Needs A 'Fix'

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
julian67

#41 Post by julian67 »

AdrianTM wrote:I'm curious, I see the KDE CD, I see LXDE CD I don't see the GNOME one: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0/amd64/iso-cd/

Where is it? :twisted:
Still confused huh?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

AdrianTM

#42 Post by AdrianTM »

julian67 wrote:
AdrianTM wrote:I'm curious, I see the KDE CD, I see LXDE CD I don't see the GNOME one: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0/amd64/iso-cd/

Where is it? :twisted:
Still confused huh?
I'm not confused at all. Still a jerk?
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

julian67

#43 Post by julian67 »

yashiro wrote:With only CD1 and no net connection the 'default desktop' option does not install all of the packages.
Gnome will be working yes, but some things will be missing/incomplete.

This has bugged me for some time but only mention it since while I was browsing here it popped up on the devblogs of planet.debian.org too.
So the CD doesn't have the capacity to hold more than, say, the capacity of a CD? Really? Hmm, learn something new every day round here....a CD Image is by necessity <700 MB. The content of the 1st CD is dictated by popularity, not by 5 people complaining on a forum that this huge multi-architecture universal OS isn't precisely tailored to their individual whims.

You can get Debian on floppy(!), netinstall CD, businesscard CD, Single CD, Multi CD set, DVD or Blu-Ray. You can obtain it by ftp, http, bittorrent, jigdo or purchase CD/DVD sets at minimal cost. You can choose from 3 different installer CDs, all found in the same place, and have the choice of any of the principal desktop environments. Clearly this is inadequate and good grounds for a round of whining and moaning.

Of course as soon as I discovered that Debian don't offer metalink files for the disc images I knew they made a big mistake and don't care about the users blah blah blah blah blah moan moan moan I want I want I want not fair not fair not fair
AdrianTM wrote: I'm not confused at all. Still a jerk?
Maybe, but at least I'm the kind of jerk who can read an alphabetical list knowing that K isn't going to be at the top. Puts me one step ahead of some people round here.... :lol:

AdrianTM

#44 Post by AdrianTM »

julian67 wrote:Maybe, but at least I'm the kind of jerk who can read an alphabetical list knowing that K isn't going to be at the top. Puts me one step ahead of some people round here.... :lol:
You haven't responded though, where do you see the "Gnome" iso? I see KDE, I see LXDE, I don't see a "Gnome" one.

See the list again: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0/amd64/iso-cd/

julian67

#45 Post by julian67 »

AdrianTM wrote: You haven't responded though, where do you see the "Gnome" iso? I see KDE, I see LXDE, I don't see a "Gnome" one.

See the list again: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0/amd64/iso-cd/
I responded appropriately. I didn't say there is a CD called Gnome, I said that only one CD is required to install the default desktop, Gnome.

Verbatim:
Only one CD is needed to install the default desktop, Gnome.
Your poor comprehension or willful misunderstanding of plain English is entirely your own affair, and you are free to believe or assert that I wrote all kinds of things which I did not in fact write.

AdrianTM

#46 Post by AdrianTM »

Where have I asserted anything about what you wrote?

What do you accuse me of? I asked a simple question two times and you haven't responded, but you preferred to accuse me of distorting what you wrote when I didn't say anything about what you wrote (I only commented on your character, and actually your previous post shows it plenty without me commenting on it)

grandad

CD installation needs a fix

#47 Post by grandad »

Granted all good sound advice. I am a sheer novice and I can understand what the newbie can go through. I had five Cd's in my set, but at least the main (basic installation) disk was marked number 1. I had a very exciting time installing. Easy Peasy, just made a muck of the partitioning a couple of times, but eventually got it right and everything was plain sailing after that. The only problem I had was changing the default Gnome Desktop to the KDE one, which I prefer after having used it so long with Knoppix Live. I almost gave up, but didn't. Now I have the KDE Desktop and am more than happy, or I will be when I eventually get upgraded to Debian 5.0. Honestly, if it had been easier, them maybe it would have bordered on the boring. I still have Win XP on my computer, but never use it nowadays. One day it will come off and I shall be free. Grandad Walt
Knoppix. Knoppix. Knoppix. Can there really be anything else? Well.......Yes. I guess there is. Debian 5.0. It's the very best of Linux. OK?

Moogly

#48 Post by Moogly »

From my issues about installing VIA CD, to 'the default window manager' :P not sure how it happened but anyways thanks for all your help, I guess from now on I'll just use the net installer even tho that's another problem I have to deal with (wireless usb support) anyways thanks ya'll. :P