Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

'top' running away (Etch)

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

'top' running away (Etch)

#1 Post by Lavene »

I don't know where to correctly post this or if it's a bug in 'top' or 'xterm'. But if you forget to quit 'top' before you close the terminal window 'top' will run away consuming mostly all available CPU resources.
PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
6879 root 25 0 2196 1092 848 R 94.1 0.6 1:14.61 top
Not a big deal... just very annoying when it happends.

Tina :)

adssse

#2 Post by adssse »

Thats interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Since it is not something that one would want to run in the background you would think it would know when the terminal window is closed and terminate itself.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

I cannot reproduce that on my Sarge system. Can you reproduce it reliably? What terminal do you use?

What you see is definitely a bug somewhere, but I don't know yet where. You might try to simply report the bug (reportbug procps (procps is the package that supplies top)), and see what the maintainer thinks. Because by reporting the bug you supply much more information, that might be more effective. Be sure to include any information you think is important.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Jeroen wrote:I cannot reproduce that on my Sarge system. Can you reproduce it reliably? What terminal do you use?
Yes, reproducing it is no problem since it happends every single time I try it, and it happen both with 'Konsole' and 'XTerm'. I'll submit a bug report on it...

Thanks
Tina