Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

why i386

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
tubasoldier

why i386

#1 Post by tubasoldier »

Just a quick thought about architecture. Why is Debian still being compiled for the 386? why not compile it at a higher architecture? I'm sure there is a good reasoning behind it. But I have never found one.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

Have a look at what was discussed here.

anon

#3 Post by anon »

The argument has to be posed the other way, why drop i386 or make the user install diffrent binaries, why optimize on compile rather than runtime. This page is old but still funny http://www.funroll-loops.org/ (don't take it personally).

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen »

By the way, Debian is for a very long time already optimized for 686, instead of 386. Of course the name of the architecture remains the same, because it indicates the processor family.

The upcoming Debian release most likely will no longer work on a real 386 (not a 486 or higher), as I understood it.

kink

#5 Post by kink »

What do you mean by "optimized for 686"?

Jeroen

#6 Post by Jeroen »

gcc -mcpu=i686