How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby exodist » 2009-11-25 05:28

Hey Guys/Gals,
I was wondering what you must do to have a quality theme added in with the default themes that released with Debian Stable?

Thank you,

Exodist
Image
User avatar
exodist
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2009-08-29 23:45
Location: Walnut, Mississippi, USA

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby emariz » 2009-11-25 06:38

Define "quality".
If you have the talent, contribute to the project and create a quality theme.
emariz
 
Posts: 2916
Joined: 2008-10-17 07:59

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby exodist » 2009-11-25 19:51

em4r1z wrote:Define "quality".
If you have the talent, contribute to the project and create a quality theme.

I am a 200% anal perfectionist. Not some person that started making themes/artwork last week and think he is f'n Picasso. :D
For example this is my latest theme. http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=115142
It would be a true honor to get it or a variation included with the release of Squeeze.

- Exo
Image
User avatar
exodist
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2009-08-29 23:45
Location: Walnut, Mississippi, USA

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby emariz » 2009-11-26 04:08

Let's agree on that it's a quality theme. Now it must: follow Debian Guidelines, follow Gnome Guidelines, follow Free Desktop specifications, be under a GPL license, work in all resolutions, rely on already included engines, be compatible with the visually impaired needs, match already included fonts and icon theme... and list goes on. Being aesthetically attractive is just the first step.
emariz
 
Posts: 2916
Joined: 2008-10-17 07:59

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby exodist » 2009-11-26 11:23

em4r1z wrote:Let's agree on that it's a quality theme. Now it must: follow Debian Guidelines, follow Gnome Guidelines, follow Free Desktop specifications, be under a GPL license, work in all resolutions, rely on already included engines, be compatible with the visually impaired needs, match already included fonts and icon theme... and list goes on. Being aesthetically attractive is just the first step.

Absolutely :-)
I can understand your skepticism. I have seen a plethora of half baked themes shipped with Ubuntu lately and mine was not one of them.
I been using Linux for the better part of 10 years or longer as my main OS and normally only OS. I am sure there are some things I would have to work on my themes to keep them in guidelines no doubt. But I honestly feel my work follows the strictest standards and would have a good home with my favorite distro (Debian).
I would really like to review the Deb Guidelines, but I have read the Free Desktop guidelines which unless I am mistaken Gnome team also follow. But it wouldnt hurt to re review those either.

Thank you,

Exo
Image
User avatar
exodist
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2009-08-29 23:45
Location: Walnut, Mississippi, USA

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby Paulfocused » 2009-11-28 01:27

exodist wrote:
em4r1z wrote:Let's agree on that it's a quality theme. Now it must: follow Debian Guidelines, follow Gnome Guidelines, follow Free Desktop specifications, be under a GPL license, work in all resolutions, rely on already included engines, be compatible with the visually impaired needs, match already included fonts and icon theme... and list goes on. Being aesthetically attractive is just the first step.

Absolutely :-)
I can understand your skepticism. I have seen a plethora of half baked themes shipped with Ubuntu lately and mine was not one of them.
I been using Linux for the better part of 10 years or longer as my main OS and normally only OS. I am sure there are some things I would have to work on my themes to keep them in guidelines no doubt. But I honestly feel my work follows the strictest standards and would have a good home with my favorite distro (Debian).
I would really like to review the Deb Guidelines, but I have read the Free Desktop guidelines which unless I am mistaken Gnome team also follow. But it wouldnt hurt to re review those either.

Thank you,

Exo


Your theme is much more polished than many themes shipped with a lot of distros. Like you said Ubuntu is an example. I hope that yours is indeed included with squeeze. :wink: I agree with you; your work does follow the most strict standards. You seem to genuinely care about every detail.
I am root!!
Image
User avatar
Paulfocused
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 2009-11-26 03:05
Location: Georgia, U.S.

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby exodist » 2009-11-28 02:37

Paulfocused wrote:Your theme is much more polished than many themes shipped with a lot of distros. Like you said Ubuntu is an example. I hope that yours is indeed included with squeeze. :wink: I agree with you; your work does follow the most strict standards. You seem to genuinely care about every detail.

I appreciate your comments, it means a lot to me to here that from other individuals.
Image
User avatar
exodist
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2009-08-29 23:45
Location: Walnut, Mississippi, USA

Re: How to get Artwork and Themes added to stable release?

Postby stevepusser » 2010-02-04 06:00

You could contact the maintainer of the Gnome theme packages in Squeeze---gnome-themes-extras to see if he'll add it, or package it as its own package. If you are really brave, you could apply as a maintainer yourself and submit the package for review...
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Foliate 2.0.0
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53


Return to Debian Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable