Broken packages in testing

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Broken packages in testing

Postby craigevil » 2009-12-07 11:43

# Due to some problems in the testing migration scripts, the testing suite is currently broken. This means some packages are currently not installable (such as KDE) or others are gone (such as MySQL). This is reported as the bug #559346. The issue is being worked on but it will take some time. If you see you problems when installing packages from testing, please be patient, or fetch the package from unstable.

# Some X.Org drivers (packages xserver-xorg-input-* and xserver-xorg-video-*) that were meant to be uploaded to experimental landed in unstable instead (see sbuild’s bug #559659). If you see packages with a Depends: on xorg stuff from experimental, do not update and wait until xorg-server 1.7 moves to unstable.

# Backports of KDE 4.1 made for Lenny were available at http://kde4.debian.net. That repository was planned to go out of service in the end of this year, due to technical problems they are already gone.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Re: Broken packages in testing

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2009-12-07 15:19

Thanks for the heads-up...I was just about to do my weekly update.
JohnDeere630

Postby emariz » 2009-12-07 17:09

Another issue was that gnome-session broke gnome-power-manager.
In my case, the MySQL problem was solved today.
emariz

Postby Eck » 2009-12-07 19:00

Here's what I got from sid that appears to keep things all upgraded but unbroken:

apt-show-versions | grep sid
gcc-4.2-base/sid uptodate 4.2.4-6
gnokii-common/sid uptodate 0.6.28.dfsg-1
gnome-power-manager/sid uptodate 2.28.1-2
libgdl-1-3/sid uptodate 2.28.2-1
libgdl-1-common/sid uptodate 2.28.2-1
libgnokii5/sid uptodate 0.6.28.dfsg-1
libkonqsidebarplugin4/squeeze uptodate 4:4.3.2-1
libnfsidmap2/squeeze uptodate 0.22-2
libpanel-applet2-0/sid uptodate 2.28.0-3
libsidplay1/squeeze uptodate 1.36.59-5
libxklavier15/sid uptodate 4.0-2
nvidia-glx/sid uptodate 190.42-3
nvidia-glx-dev/sid uptodate 190.42-3
nvidia-kernel-source/sid uptodate 190.42-3

All I want there is the nvidia stuff, and of course ignore libkonqsidebarplugin4, libnfsidmap2, and libsidplay1 as they just have the word sid in there, confusing apt-show-versions. :)

I installed -t unstable gnome-power-manager just to get that back. The rest came from delving into aptitude's next (hitting n a lot in the terminal or hitting . a lot in the gui. I picked the upgrade which would bring the least sid along and the least stuff being removed and all upgraded.

Nothing is broken, just more of a mix than I'd prefer from sid. Folks need to be careful to create an /etc/apt/apt.conf and do the default-release testing thing if they're going to add sid to their sources to "un-break" some packages.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM
Eck

Postby Jackiebrown » 2009-12-08 10:05

You can read about it @ http://news.debian.net/

It's verbatuim to what craig wrote but it's worth checking every so often to see when the fix comes
Jackiebrown

Postby Tixy » 2009-12-08 11:57

em4r1z wrote:Another issue was that gnome-session broke gnome-power-manager.

That's fixed today. (I didn't install gnome-session yesterday because Synaptic said it would need to remove gnome-power-manager, presumably because 'conflicts dependency'.)

A large chunk of the remaining Gnome 2.28 packages went into Testing today; only the new Epiphany is still not cleanly installable yet.
Tixy

Postby Eck » 2009-12-09 12:23

Mines all cleaned up now with nothing but the nvidia driver stuff from sid again. I did need to remove gcc-4.2-base myself, no longer in testing, asking to be removed, no idea why I had it in the first place. Perhaps it was left over from my initial install with the Lenny dvd using the standard task.

So I guess word should get out that testing is no longer broken.

I HATE the idea that in just a couple of months all work except for bug fixes and the installer will halt with a stupid freeze in March. There's just too much development going on with software (kde, gnome, everything) to think that what we've got now is what Debian wants for its next release.

I hope they kick out this timed freeze idea. Let's keep getting the new stuff until the normal process of our elected decision makers decide that testing looks complete with the collection of software worthy of a new stable. It just doesn't look to me like in a couple of months we'll be there yet.

Since when do we need to cater to the forks? I see what's in it for Ubuntu but I just can't see what's in it for Debian. Freezes are a pain in the neck to begin with and now we'll schedule them to satisfy a fork? C'mon, stop that insanity!
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM
Eck

Postby Paulfocused » 2009-12-09 15:23

Eck wrote:I HATE the idea that in just a couple of months all work except for bug fixes and the installer will halt with a stupid freeze in March. There's just too much development going on with software (kde, gnome, everything) to think that what we've got now is what Debian wants for its next release.

I know right? We need to hold out a little while longer for sure. Perhaps they will, an April or even May freeze would be better IMO to get the best release possible. Escpecially with KDE 4.4 developement and not to mention all the Xorg stuff...on top of other things.
I am root!!
Paulfocused

Postby bugsbunny » 2009-12-09 16:09

There will always be a newer, better package just around the corner. The stuff currently in squeeze is fine. kde - who cares? :wink: :D I have no problem with a planned timed freeze. If done correctly it will help the developers plan their workloads, and will lead to a shorter freeze. You asked what Debian will get out if the deal? A shorter freeze would be a great result.

That said - this is Debian and nothing is written in stone until it actually happens. It's possible that the freeze will slip, although I suspect not. It still won't actually release until it's ready.
bugsbunny

Postby Dargor » 2009-12-10 10:51

Thanks for the update dude. Its a pitty i didnt read it, before now. I got to test out my backups today.
Want a tool to load your external media player.
Dargor

Postby jheaton5 » 2009-12-10 16:39

I did a full-upgrade with --full-resolver and everything got fixed. Squeeze must be healthy again.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby BioTube » 2009-12-14 14:30

bugsbunny wrote:There will always be a newer, better package just around the corner. The stuff currently in squeeze is fine. kde - who cares? :wink: :D I have no problem with a planned timed freeze. If done correctly it will help the developers plan their workloads, and will lead to a shorter freeze. You asked what Debian will get out if the deal? A shorter freeze would be a great result.
KDE4's not feature complete yet - I think avoiding a broken release is a high priority for Debian. Besides, one of those "just around the corner" things is nouveau in mainline.
That said - this is Debian and nothing is written in stone until it actually happens. It's possible that the freeze will slip, although I suspect not. It still won't actually release until it's ready.
I think it's likely - there are far too many big, important releases coming up too soon.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby confuseling » 2009-12-20 14:18

Dargor wrote:Thanks for the update dude. Its a pitty i didnt read it, before now. I got to test out my backups today.

I notice this wiki page;

http://wiki.debian.org/Status/Testing

I presume it's for things exactly like this. I think it would be good if we resolved to start using it - one of the nice things about Arch is that you generally know what you're getting into if you hit 'update'.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling

Postby smallchange » 2009-12-20 14:53

confuseling wrote:
Dargor wrote:Thanks for the update dude. Its a pitty i didnt read it, before now. I got to test out my backups today.

I notice this wiki page;

http://wiki.debian.org/Status/Testing

I presume it's for things exactly like this. I think it would be good if we resolved to start using it - one of the nice things about Arch is that you generally know what you're getting into if you hit 'update'.

Does that mean that Arch releases packages they know to be bad so that they can warn you ahead of time?
smallchange

Postby confuseling » 2009-12-20 15:57

smallchange wrote:...
Does that mean that Arch releases packages they know to be bad so that they can warn you ahead of time?

:) Yes, I suppose if you want to put it that way it does - if there are known simple workarounds.

Then there are the cases where you just happen to be the first person to upgrade, I suppose; Lose Faith All Ye Who Pick A Fast Mirror.

But if the devs haven't given a warning, some lucky soul is always going to be the first to find out it's broken. I think it'd be useful if this forum were in the habit of publicising that in a known place - whether a thread, or a wiki page.

[edited spelling]
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here
confuseling

Next

Return to Debian Development