Debian and Ubuntu syncing

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Re: Debian and Ubuntu syncing

Postby smallchange » 2009-12-24 15:39

milomak wrote:
62chevy wrote:
Tadeas wrote:Sounds good till you think about it. You would no longer have two distinct distros, they would be the same, just different names. Ubuntu should stay Ubuntu and Debian, Debian.

What does it matter if they are not distinct; as long as Debian sticks to its social contract?

It matters in that Debian is stable and workable and Ubuntu concentrates on trying to be usable by people who don't want to know anything. That is a very basic difference and the Debian attitude is what has made Debian so useful. This is not part of the social contract and many who do not understand this claim that Debian users are elitist, when in fact we are just practical. If Debian were to yield to the pressure to be like Ubuntu, Debian would become unusable, Ubuntu would not have a solid base to build on and they would likely die also.
smallchange

Postby milomak » 2009-12-24 16:41

why is there this fear on this forum that the debian developers will abandon what debian stands for? why is this being viewed as debian swaying to ubuntu and not the other way around?
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak

Postby smallchange » 2009-12-24 20:31

milomak wrote:why is there this fear on this forum that the debian developers will abandon what debian stands for? why is this being viewed as debian swaying to ubuntu and not the other way around?

Because it takes an uncommon amount of wisdom to continue in the face of popular stupidity.
smallchange

Postby llivv » 2009-12-26 05:28

[.
Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-22 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby refracta » 2009-12-26 16:29

milomak wrote:why is there this fear on this forum that the debian developers will abandon what debian stands for? why is this being viewed as debian swaying to ubuntu and not the other way around?

uh...when X is going left and has always went left and is known for left.........and Y is going right........if X is changed to go right....then it is X being changed to go the same way Y is going....
refracta

Postby nitehawk » 2009-12-30 01:52

http://juliank.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/ubuntu-software-center-coming-to-debian/

...Oh well,..looks like Ubuntu may becoming integrated into Debian soon. (goodbye Synaptic---hello "Ubuntu Software Center ???)
nitehawk

Postby BioTube » 2009-12-30 02:03

I suppose I should familiarize myself with a BSD.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby nitehawk » 2009-12-30 02:22

I suppose I should familiarize myself with a BSD.

...I've seriously been thinking the same thing (or at least have a good look at Slackware). What's very interesting,..is that this guy has posted on top of his blog,..that he is BOTH a Debian developer,...and a member of Ubuntu. (coming together).
nitehawk

Postby refracta » 2009-12-30 03:19

I think he is saying 'replace in the default gnome install' not replace completely. Sure as hell better be what he is saying....

He also mentions something about apt2 using sqlite....????

oh well....lenny forever
refracta

Postby BioTube » 2009-12-31 01:30

refracta wrote:He also mentions something about apt2 using sqlite....????
Reading in the database is slow enough without that crap.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby smallchange » 2009-12-31 03:31

That sounds like good reason to fear that Debian developers will abandon what Debian stands for. Unfortunately the people doing this do not even realize what they are doing and if you try to tell them they can not understand it.
smallchange

Postby Polaris96 » 2010-01-09 04:07

if this ever happens ... i mean if it DOES (never mind the fact that I'm sleeping with a crucific, star of david, golden gautama, sacred hegab, and three or four "ungabunga" ish relics and still can't rest at night), we're going to see a very bad thing happen.

The tail will start wagging the dog.

We've seen this before. Intel, IBM, MS, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, ... NASA (twice, now). Need I continue?

If we're talking social contract, then Debian MAY NOT integrate with ubuntu. Or will it be, "not integrating just syncing[release\ dates repos boot\ process]"

NOT good. No good has ever come of this kind of thing in the past. It won't this time.

please don't. I'm happy here. I don't wanna go back to BSD.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.
Polaris96

Postby jheaton5 » 2010-01-09 14:12

From what I read, the syncing is just the release cycle. Ubuntu wants to change their release cycle to only a LTS release once a year. They want Debian to sync with that release cycle so they can begin using testing instead of unstable as their core. If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.
debian sid
jheaton5

Postby nitehawk » 2010-01-09 17:44

The tail will start wagging the dog.

Well said. My thoughts/fears exactly.
nitehawk

Postby Polaris96 » 2010-01-10 03:54

@jheaton5:

You are correct, sir. For now. My concerns are that debian's momentum is created entirely by voluntary contributers who must manage their "real" lives around their passion for debian. Ubuntu, conversely, is basically a cash generator.

Neither of these entities is bad in abstract. I'm about as laissez faire as you'll ever meet. The problem I see ahead is increasing "clout" of debian decision making for ubuntu. I fear the increased usage of such terms as "it's in our best interest," and, "we need to stick together on this."

Debian is NOT ubuntu. Even though ubuntu does generate signifigant "linux buzz" it's hardly necessary, or even symbiotic, to the existence of debian. The reverse does not apply. Ubuntu DOES need debian. It seems, lately, that ubuntu feels they're performing some service FOR debian with their "linux in every home" crusade. They seem to feel they should have some input in debian's steering because they're debian based and they have lots of users.

But ubuntu DOESN'T provide utility to debian. The reason their OS runs as well as it does is because they're using OUR back end.

Debian's decisions, to date, have been GOOD. The proof's in the pudding - tough to name a goofy new distro that ISN'T debian based, these days. We don't need to be in bed with ubuntu or anyone else. We're doing JUST FINE by ourselves.

Syncing release dates, even if that's all that ever happens, implies that ubntu and debian have a sort of "special relationship" that should never exist.

Arch is MUCH cuter! If we need to share a bed, I wanna go to her place.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.
Polaris96

PreviousNext

Return to Debian Development