bug in localepurge

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

bug in localepurge

Postby nadir » 2010-01-02 16:53

fyi:
any install, upgrade etc. will return this:
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke 'if [ -x /usr/sbin/localepurge ] && [ $(ps w -p $PPID | grep -c remove) != 1 ]; then /usr/sbin/localepurge; else exit 0; fi'

serious bugs of localepurge (-> 0.6.1) <unfixed>
#559470 - FHS-noncompliance: does not cope with missing /var/cache/localepurge
Summary:
localepurge(1 bug)

i did not search for further info yet. if anyone already knows...good.
( edit / 06.01.10: i was busy, it was easy-> mkdir /var/cache/localepurge . done.)
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Re: bug in localepurge

Postby Lost Dog » 2010-01-15 16:44

I noticed this issue the other day as well... I did a system reinstall (not really needed but I build a new system and felt like starting fresh). I just uninstalled localepurge and will try it later.
Lost Dog

Postby ComputerBob » 2010-01-15 17:34

Same error here. I got tired of seeing it, so I finally uninstalled localepurge last night.

But, thanks to this thread, I just created /var/cache/localepurge then reinstalled localepurge, then installed 6 new upgrades -- all without any error messages.

Thanks nadir! 8)
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
My Massive Stroke
ComputerBob

Postby nadir » 2010-01-15 19:00

ComputerBob wrote:Same error here. I got tired of seeing it, so I finally uninstalled localepurge last night.

But, thanks to this thread, I just created /var/cache/localepurge then reinstalled localepurge, then installed 6 new upgrades -- all without any error messages.

Thanks nadir! 8)

aha! i was not sure if i didn't delete it by myself (sometimes things get out of control over here). therefor: thanks for the feedback. and good it worked for you too. greetings

btw: i am still a fan of my "idea" to create a sticky to post such stuff, lets call it bug-messages (though i know it might become a mess... and might be kinda extra-work for someone. but someone != me :lol: ).
nadir

Postby ComputerBob » 2010-01-15 19:09

nadir wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:Same error here. I got tired of seeing it, so I finally uninstalled localepurge last night.

Thanks nadir! 8)

aha :idea: i was not sure if i didn't delete it by myself (sometimes things get out of control over here). good it worked for you too.
greetings

btw: i am still a fan of my "idea" to create a sticky to post such stuff, lets call it bug-messages (though i know it might become a mess... and might be kinda extra-work for someone. someone != me :lol: ).

I think the devs may have fixed the bug overnight last night. On my main PC, I created the folder as I described above, but on my second PC which is configured exactly the same as my main PC, I did a little test: I just reinstalled localepurge and then did the same 6 upgrades that I had done on my main PC -- with no error messages at all.

That disappointed and confused me (I WANTED to see the error message, to confirm the problem), so I looked in /var/cache and guess what? THERE WAS A localepurge FOLDER IN THERE! 8)
My Ministry
My Massive Stroke
ComputerBob

Postby bugsbunny » 2010-01-18 05:38

The problem was caused by the new version of bash. localepurge in testing has finally been upgraded to 0.6.2, which fixes the problem.

In the future if something like this occurs check to see if there's a newer version of the problem program in unstable. If there is then check the changelog and see if there's anything relevant to the issue you're having. In this case you would have seen:
* usr/sbin/localepurge: apply patch sent in by Bert Schulze to fix
incompatibility with bash 4.1 which broke localepurge. Thanks a
lot for your contribution, Bert! (closes: #563426, #563427, #563597)

You can then decide if you want to pull down the unstable version or wait it out. If you don't see anything then you should probably file a bug.
bugsbunny

Postby nadir » 2010-01-18 07:00

bugsbunny wrote:The problem was caused by the new version of bash. localepurge in testing has finally been upgraded to 0.6.2, which fixes the problem.

In the future if something like this occurs check to see if there's a newer version of the problem program in unstable. If there is then check the changelog and see if there's anything relevant to the issue you're having. In this case you would have seen:

You can then decide if you want to pull down the unstable version or wait it out. If you don't see anything then you should probably file a bug.

good info, thanks. i am running unstable, so not sure if that would have worked (but it might be).
changelog you say? (argh... another docu..., that damn debian really keeps you busy).

another question:
if i need to hold a package, say short ago i needed to downgrade and hold nfs-***, how would i know when to upgrade it? only by checking the bug-reports "manually"?
thanks

ps: i still think a sticky is a good idea
ps2: yes: i am not ready for sid. i did never say so. it was just a test. :wink:
nadir

Postby ComputerBob » 2010-01-18 14:47

nadir wrote:good info, thanks.

+1
My Ministry
My Massive Stroke
ComputerBob

Postby bugsbunny » 2010-01-18 15:22

nadir wrote:
bugsbunny wrote:The problem was caused by the new version of bash. localepurge in testing has finally been upgraded to 0.6.2, which fixes the problem.

good info, thanks. i am running unstable, so not sure if that would have worked (but it might be).
changelog you say? (argh... another docu..., that damn debian really keeps you busy).

another question:
if i need to hold a package, say short ago i needed to downgrade and hold nfs-***, how would i know when to upgrade it? only by checking the bug-reports "manually"?
thanks

ps: i still think a sticky is a good idea
ps2: yes: i am not ready for sid. i did never say so. it was just a test. :wink:

Easiest way to check the changelog is online. There's a link to the changelog from the package page. Next step would be to check existing bugs before filing a new one.

As far as holding a package goes - if you use aptitude you can use "aptitude forbid-version <packagename>". That will hold the given package until a newer version is available (or you install the package explicitly). For the nfs example you gave you could use something like:
Code: Select all
aptitude forbid-version ~i~n"^nfs-"
That would place a forbid-version type hold on all installed packages that start with nfs-. To be more exact:

From the aptitude documentation:
forbid-version

Forbid a package from being upgraded to a particular version. This will prevent aptitude from automatically upgrading to this version, but will allow automatic upgrades to future versions. By default, aptitude will select the version to which the package would normally be upgraded; you may override this selection by appending “=version” to the package name: for instance, “aptitude forbid-version vim=1.2.3.broken-4”.

This command is useful for avoiding broken versions of packages without having to set and clear manual holds. If you decide you really want the forbidden version after all, the “install” command will remove the ban.

If you use apt-get (or synaptic) then, afaik, there's no way other than manually checking bug reports etc. But I'm also not as familiar with the options for those as I am with aptitude.
bugsbunny

Postby refracta » 2010-01-18 16:37

bugsbunny wrote:Easiest way to check the changelog is online. .

or
aptitude changelog packagename
refracta

Postby nadir » 2010-01-18 17:07

bugsbunny: thanks a lot.

refracta wrote:

or

i had a short look (package is nfs-common), so i ran aptitude changelog nfs-common.
i didnt understand that much, but as the bug is #562729 i searched in the changelog for it with /#562729 , and found a result:
nfs-utils (1:1.2.1-1.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Non-maintainer upload.
* Disable tirpc (Closes: #562729, #562757, #562910)

-- Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org> Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:26:54 +0100

nfs-utils (1:1.2.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

so, from what i understand, that would be a fast and easy way to check if a bug is closed or still valid:
run aptitude changelog <p-name> and search for the bug number? seems so, please correct me if i am wrong.
thanks so far.

if the answer is: "yes, that would be a way/one way to do it" than it would be amazingly simple to keep an eye on it. else it is just amazing (but not that simple anymore)
nadir

Postby Bulkley » 2010-01-18 17:42

Not to throw cold water on this party but since I don't have it I looked up localpurge in Synaptic and found this:
Please note, that this tool is a hack which is *not* integrated with
Debian's package management system and therefore is not for the faint
of heart. This program interferes with the Debian package management
and does provoke strange, but usually harmless, behaviour of programs
related with apt/dpkg like dpkg-repack, reportbug, etc.
Responsibility for its usage and possible breakage of your system
therefore lies in the sysadmin's (your) hands.

Sorry.
Bulkley

Postby ComputerBob » 2010-01-18 18:45

Bulkley wrote:Not to throw cold water on this party but since I don't have it I looked up localpurge in Synaptic and found this:
Please note, that this tool is a hack which is *not* integrated with
Debian's package management system and therefore is not for the faint
of heart. This program interferes with the Debian package management
and does provoke strange, but usually harmless, behaviour of programs
related with apt/dpkg like dpkg-repack, reportbug, etc.
Responsibility for its usage and possible breakage of your system
therefore lies in the sysadmin's (your) hands.

Sorry.

Good find for those who hadn't known that. I already knew about it, but I've been using localepurge for the past few years without any problems at all, and this one turned out to be very minor, so I'm going to keep using it. :wink:
My Ministry
My Massive Stroke
ComputerBob

Postby bugsbunny » 2010-01-18 22:41

refracta wrote:

or

Now that one I didn't know :) I normally look at the changelogs during an upgrade using "c <programname>" as a response to the aptitude prompt, but didn't know about the changelog command.

the gtk version of aptitude also displays the changelog.

so, from what i understand, that would be a fast and easy way to check if a bug is closed or still valid:
run aptitude changelog <p-name> and search for the bug number? seems so, please correct me if i am wrong.
thanks so far.

if the answer is: "yes, that would be a way/one way to do it" than it would be amazingly simple to keep an eye on it. else it is just amazing (but not that simple anymore)

Yes that would be one way to do it. It does depend on the maintainer having good changelogs and closing out bugs correctly, but in most cases you should be fine.
bugsbunny

Return to Debian Development