package maintainers are behind

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

package maintainers are behind

Postby yonnie » 2010-02-16 21:57

There have been a number of stable releases for Geda since 1.4.0 which is what Lenny has, this release is ancient history, was out of date when first put into Lenny. Current stable release is 1.6.1. What chance is there that the maintainers will update this package for Lenny?
Penguin Herder
yonnie

Re: package maintainers are behind

Postby Telemachus » 2010-02-16 22:08

First, this is the wrong place for this post. This forum is (at best) a semi-official one. What I mean by that is that some Debian devs are on from time to time, but not many of them and not so often (as far as I can tell). If you want to file a bug, do so on the bug tracker.

Second, this is the wrong way to get the result you want even if your request was reasonable. Debian developers are volunteers. So telling them that they're behind and essentially asking them to get their asses in gear is, um, non-optimal.

Third, I think you're confused. Lenny is stable (this is a technical term in this context). It doesn't get the sort of upgrades you're looking for. Check Backports, Testing or Unstable, perhaps. (Confirmed: Testing has 1.6.0 and Sid 1.6.1.)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby dbbolton » 2010-02-16 22:32

Hmm, I wonder what QA is for.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
dbbolton

Postby yonnie » 2010-02-17 22:21

Ouch, sorry. I'm always reading about how overloaded the maintainers are, but I never get to read about what it takes to be one. Why not post more on what it takes and how to get there?
Penguin Herder
yonnie

Postby roseway » 2010-02-17 22:45

Eric
roseway

Postby edbarx » 2010-02-21 13:04

I have to admit, it is also my temptation. However, it is not easy to join the maintainers for various reasons. So, I am now programming for Windows. Obviously, without a motivator, it is not natural to do anything, especially, a task like programming.

Note: By motivator I do not mean "money". It is irrational to waste hundreds of hours, to write a program, which may end rejected by the receiving end. So, first make sure, you are accepted.

Good Luck!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby stevepusser » 2010-02-28 02:53

It may be possible to backport the package yourself for Lenny, we've done quite a few for the Mepislover's community repo. We are just a few users that also wanted to play with the latest shiny new programs while maintaining a stable Lenny base as far as possible. If you are lucky, you will not have to make any changes. If unlucky, you will have to get down into the guts and tweak the /debian control and rules files to get it to build successfully on Lenny, and use some tricks that only come with experience. That's what I had to do with the VLC 1.0.5 Lenny + backports compatible debian folder I put up here in Multimedia. I'm currently installing Debian in a VM, so I could build some truly Lenny backports in it, but I will be adding the backports repo for support; no sense reinventing the wheel. I really am going to make a compatible mplayer-mt that will go great with the newer SMPlayer I linked to.

I will also check out the package you want, to see how feasible backporting would be.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Foliate 2.0.0
stevepusser

Return to Debian Development