Debian vs. PHP?

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Debian vs. PHP?

Postby Telemachus » 2010-02-28 21:53

"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby llivv » 2010-03-02 13:27

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Re: Debian vs. PHP?

Postby smallchange » 2010-03-02 15:49

Same old story. Debian makes Debian for Debian and it is so good others really want to use it, but since no one in Debian wants exactly what this third party wants it is not in Debian and then the third party gets offended that no one else is volunteering to do what the third party wants done but will not volunteer to do. And somehow this is Debian fault. It is amazing how small minded and self centered some people are.

Notice that they build on each other. Each new one acts like the fact that no one from Debian is volunteering to do what is currently wanted is just another example of this despicable behavior that Debian always does of not volunteering to do something else that they really do not care about or maybe even actively do not want in Debian. And they are then amazed that someone does not force Debian into doing whatever any moron requests.
smallchange

Postby shadowking » 2010-03-03 05:08

I think the maintainer is appalling !

No where do I see any demands that they MUST package anything. It was a request - perhaps persistent but nothing wrong with that.

This is no way to behave. So you are a volunteer and don't get paid (maybe this S L guy does by ubuntu..). That still doesn't mean you don't try and reply or handle the matter professionally . Its almost narcissistic (from the developers to the zealots) and keeps linux on the fringes.

Also this could be called another form of restrictive computing . MS & apple cop blame for restricting users rights etc.. But having a 'distro' - in particular the package manager & maintainers between 3rd parties and users like a 'middleman' is another problem..
shadowking

Postby smallchange » 2010-03-03 05:31

shadowking wrote:I think the maintainer is appalling !

No where do I see any demands that they MUST package anything. It was a request - perhaps persistent but nothing wrong with that.

This is no way to behave. So you are a volunteer and don't get paid (maybe this S L guy does by ubuntu..). That still doesn't mean you don't try and reply or handle the matter professionally . Its almost narcissistic (from the developers to the zealots) and keeps linux on the fringes.

Also this could be called another form of restrictive computing . MS & apple cop blame for restricting users rights etc.. But having a 'distro' - in particular the package manager & maintainers between 3rd parties and users like a 'middleman' is another problem..

The "request" was certainly disparaging of the maintainer for not responding in a positive manner to the request. I thought the maintainer handled the situation very professionally. The developer is not doing anything to linux. He is creating an OS that works for himself and others. There is no reason to assume that he is evangelising linux or that he owes any effort at all to any user and especially not an arrogant and ignorant user.
smallchange

Postby llivv » 2010-03-03 16:34

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-17 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby Jackiebrown » 2010-03-08 02:40

I do think Debian could do a better job at closing bug requests.

If that is how the debian php devs feel, they should have closed this 4 years ago as wishlist+won't fix.

That said, I guess they have better things to do with their time, but it does make the bug tracker seem silly. (I have always had much luck when I report stuff, but there are a ton of bugs open like this. A lot of times the distro and packages they are reported against aren't even supported in old stable so why leave them open?)
Jackiebrown

Return to Debian Development