Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

linux-kbuild: drop or merge to linux-image/linux-header?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
liangsuilong

linux-kbuild: drop or merge to linux-image/linux-header?

#1 Post by liangsuilong »

Debian has released kernel-2.6.33 in experimental for a long time. Linux-image-2.6.33 and linux-header-2.6.33 has existed in experimental. But we can not install an completed 2.6.33 kernel because linux-kbuild is not existed.

I do not know why linux-kbuild does not go out. Maybe there are some bugs are not solved. But we have not linux-kbuild so that we can not install linux-header. We can not test recompile third-party modules and recognize whether the module work on new kernel or not.

Unlike Debian, another debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu and Mint has not contained linux-kbuild. So I think that Debian should also drop linux-kbuild in order to upgrade to a new kernel easily and conveniently. If linux-kbuild can not be removed, merging into linux-image or linux-header will be a better choice than present. I believe that this is a better way to test third-party modules on a new kernel.