Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

creating custmized Debian CD

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
linuxopjemac

creating custmized Debian CD

#1 Post by linuxopjemac »

I want to create a customized Debian CD for the PowerPC architecture. I tried live-helper once but I find it too difficult and I couldn't find much info about it on the net. Did anyone try to do it with Ubuntu Customization Kit (uck) once ? Any advice?

Regards,
Jeroen

jheaton5

Re: creating custmized Debian CD

#2 Post by jheaton5 »

I expect that if live-helper is too difficult, you need to learn more about debian. A good place to start is trying to learn what live-helper is telling you to do.
debian sid

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Start with these.

Debian Live Manual
MeanDean's create a debian live image
refracta's create a debian live image using live-helper

Sorry, but we don't have a funky GUI for this. There is Live-Magic but all it does is download pre-designed combinations.

linuxopjemac

#4 Post by linuxopjemac »

Thanks I will try this in the future. I will let you know.

refracta

#5 Post by refracta »

what all did you want to customize?

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

There has been a change in live-helper usage that you should know about because it won't show in old posts and it won't work. We used to do lh_config and lh_build. Note the underline connector which has now been dropped and replaced with a space. Now we do lh config and lh build. Instructions and howtos are catching up but you may run into old ones.

When you first start using live-helper you will make mistakes. It helps to have an emulator to try them with. I use Virtualbox but there are others. That way I don't have to burn until I am satisfied.

Check these Debian live examples. (Remember to drop the underline connectors.) As an experiment, try doing

Code: Select all

lh config -p xfce-desktop && lh build
You should get a XFce iso which is not too much of a download. It will make a good test for you to learn with.

refracta

#7 Post by refracta »

depends on which version of live-helper you are using :wink:

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

refracta wrote:depends on which version of live-helper you are using :wink:
Probably. I'm using Squeeze. Have the changes not hit Lenny yet?

linuxopjemac

#9 Post by linuxopjemac »

I am still on Lenny. I am porting Debian Linux Mint LXDE to PPC. I already have a working script, which installs the system after a minimal installation. I would like to make a liveCD next time when squeeze is out.

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

Have you been to the Debian Live Project? Note that they have pre-configured live-CDs in Testing with enough variety to satisfy just about everybody. Just click to download.

linuxopjemac

#11 Post by linuxopjemac »

I have a set of debian bianries which I compiled myself which I like to add to say an LXDE desktop. How would I do that ?

Bro.Tiag

#12 Post by Bro.Tiag »

linuxopjemac wrote:I have a set of debian bianries which I compiled myself which I like to add to say an LXDE desktop. How would I do that ?
Download the ppc-lxde iso. Once you have that you can mount the iso and copy it's content to a work directory. Now, you can mount the filesystem.squashfs, copy it's contents to another work directory and then chroot into it and make changes (ie add your bianries with dpkg -i ). The re-package the filesystem.squashfs, replace the original filesystem.squashfs with your new on and the rebuild the iso.

Here is a link to MeanDeans original (or near original) instructions, CREATE A LIVE IMAGE USING LIVE-HELPER, second & third posts. Mind you they are old and some of the commands have changed, but I just used (this past week end) it to make a new custom Sid iso I put to a usb stick as persistent.

Cheers

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

Bro.Tiag's suggestion is right. My variation is to use live-helper to create an iso with the package list I want before I try to re-configure it.

I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a good re-mastering GUI available. Ubuntu has a couple of programs but they don't work well. I have used isomaster with success however its usefulness is limited. I think Live-Magic is under-developed and doesn't even do a good job for what it's supposed to do.

refracta

#14 Post by refracta »

...you can also install the system, install your packages and then use live-helper to 'clone' the system

I prefer meandeans way though....although it is a bit of a hack.... :P

Bro.Tiag

#15 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Bulkley wrote:I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a good re-mastering GUI available.
Because nothing beats a few cli commands & a good How To.

Cheers

Bulkley

#16 Post by Bulkley »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
Bulkley wrote:I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a good re-mastering GUI available.
Of course. I just figured that the demand would spur development. One would think that Live-Magic would let a user select packages but it doesn't even let one choose the LXDE option.

linuxopjemac

#17 Post by linuxopjemac »

Hopefully i will have time this weekend to try all these great ideas. Thank you very much for the input.

dzz

#18 Post by dzz »

There is a (mainly) gui for remastering including (optionally) a live cd installer :

http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/

On that page are also generic instructions for doing so using standard Debian cli tools and methods. It is even possible to build from a base debootstrap and add what you want. You would however need some understanding of the processes involved.

Many good reviews are to be found and I have successfully used it numerous times.

Bro.Tiag

#19 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Bulkley wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:
Of course. I just figured that the demand would spur development. One would think that Live-Magic would let a user select packages but it doesn't even let one choose the LXDE option.
There are just to many options, with to many choices, with to many variations, to make a complete one size fits all gui to meet to many expectations (imo).

Cheers

Bulkley

#20 Post by Bulkley »

dzz wrote:There is a (mainly) gui for remastering including (optionally) a live cd installer :

http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/

On that page are also generic instructions for doing so using standard Debian cli tools and methods. It is even possible to build from a base debootstrap and add what you want. You would however need some understanding of the processes involved.

Many good reviews are to be found and I have successfully used it numerous times.
I tried it a couple of years ago and found it sadly lacking. It was determined to use Ubuntu libraries which often clash with clean Debian. Did you read the instructions for Debian?
Bro.Tiag wrote:There are just too many options, with too many choices, with too many variations, to make a complete one size fits all gui to meet too many expectations (imo).
Which is why I use live-helper cli. However, one would think that Live-Magic would let one select from all 25 choices in /usr/share/live-helper/lists. Live-Magic is, after all, described as the "GUI frontend to live-helper." I think that Live-Magic development is not keeping up with Live-Helper.