Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby umang » 2010-05-29 08:48

When I send nnn-subscribe@bugs.debian.org an email, why does it send me one back asking me to confirm? It irritates me quite a bit.

If I sent the mail by mistake, I'd realize and send an unsubscribe mail, wouldn't I? After all, it's a bug report, not a mailing list with huge traffic.
umang
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2010-05-06 11:24

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby Telemachus » 2010-05-29 10:26

Probably for the same reason that the forum software here requires me to confirm every single time that I do anything (move a post to spam, close a spam report, etc.). It's the anti-Unix philosophy in action: always bother the user before acting.

Lots of software is written this way, and what you're seeing is pretty standard behavior for mail lists.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby umang » 2010-05-29 10:30

Hmm. I don't really subscribe to many bugs on the BTS. But if I had to handle many bugs, I really would mind it. Mailing alright, Mod CP of a forum (I've seen the vB one) alright. Bug report, not alright.

Will filing a bug report against this be rejected straight away or is it worth a shot?
umang
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2010-05-06 11:24

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby Telemachus » 2010-05-29 11:44

umang wrote:Hmm. I don't really subscribe to many bugs on the BTS. But if I had to handle many bugs, I really would mind it. Mailing alright, Mod CP of a forum (I've seen the vB one) alright. Bug report, not alright.

Will filing a bug report against this be rejected straight away or is it worth a shot?

A bug on the Mailman software you mean? Now I'm not sure I understand your question. Also, I think you didn't really listen to my answer. It doesn't matter how many bug reports you expect to get, or how high volume the list is, or who you are, or what the product is for. It's a default behavior on the software. You are trying to subscribe to a mail list, and it is going to ask you for confirmation. I think you need to just confirm it and move on. Don't waste your own time on something so minor.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby umang » 2010-05-29 12:26

Telemachus wrote:A bug on the Mailman software you mean?
Oh. I didn't realize that BTS doesn't do that itself, but treats a bug as a mailing list.
Telemachus wrote:Now I'm not sure I understand your question. Also, I think you didn't really listen to my answer.
That was probably because I didn't understand your post initially. Now I do.
Telemachus wrote:It doesn't matter how many bug reports you expect to get, or how high volume the list is, or who you are, or what the product is for. It's a default behavior on the software. You are trying to subscribe to a mail list, and it is going to ask you for confirmation. I think you need to just confirm it and move on. Don't waste your own time on something so minor.
(EDIT) Will do. :)
umang
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2010-05-06 11:24

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby Telemachus » 2010-05-29 12:43

umang wrote:That was probably because I didn't understand your post initially. Now I do.

Yeah, I wasn't especially clear. Sorry.

If I understood correctly, you are trying to subscribe to a specific bug's tracker. The software treats that like subscribing to any other mail list, and so it asks you for confirmation. I agree that this default behavior is (often) annoying, but for whatever reasons, it's very common.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
User avatar
Telemachus
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: 2006-12-25 15:53

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby plugwash » 2010-06-20 22:03

The trouble is if a service doesn't require require confirmed opt-in to subscribe to stuff it is likely to be treated as a spam source by people who get inadvertantly subscribed to it and ending up on spam lists is something no mailserver operator wants!
plugwash
 
Posts: 2508
Joined: 2006-09-17 01:10

Re: Why does BTS require me to confirm a subscription?

Postby umang » 2010-06-21 11:12

Ah that's true. I guess it's also partly because BTS doesn't have a web interface where I can log in and then subscribe. In that case confirmations wouldn't be required.
umang
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2010-05-06 11:24


Return to Debian Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable