Multiple bootloader menus.

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Re: Multiple bootloader menus.

Postby edbarx » 2010-06-06 07:42

I think, using several small partitions for my bootloaders is the best solution to date. As it is, updating a kernel for any installation, does not require me fiddling with menu.lst. By the way, I am still using grub-legacy. To be honest, I am tempted to remove the need of scripts from grub2 and make it behave exactly like grub-legacy where menu.lst is involved.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby frostschutz » 2010-06-06 07:48

Getting multiple menus to work AND automatic menu.lst generation for every distro would be a bit of a problem, I agree with you there... for compiling and installing kernels, I do that manually for any distro, so I don't suffer from that problem.

I installed Ubuntu on my parents machine this weekend. Everything went fine UNTIL I had to figure out how to make Windows the first boot entry in Grub, and the Ubuntu stuff below that. Yeah, Ubuntu uses Grub2 nowadays and I couldn't make heads or tails of the grub2 config, so eventually I just had to Google to figure out I have to rename a file in /etc/grub.d/ and run update-grub *shudder*

I hate these automations, on my own machines I do everything related to kernels and grub myself, that way at least I know what's going on... and even more important, it works the same way everywhere, better than each distro inventing their own system...
frostschutz

Postby nadir » 2010-06-06 07:54

Everything went fine UNTIL I had to figure out how to make Windows the first boot entry in Grub,

First entry:

root# cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Wrong? Its not the first entry, but is it important?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Postby pcalvert » 2010-06-06 19:37

edbarx wrote:I think, using several small partitions for my bootloaders is the best solution to date.
Why several small partitions? Why not install the boot loader for each OS on its root partition and have just a single small partition for your "master GRUB" that is set up to chain-load the other boot loaders?

Phil
“Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good
in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.”
— Abraham Lincoln
pcalvert

Postby Tadeas » 2010-06-06 20:02

Can't you just chainload into another Grub and then chainload back? It worked like this on my system some time ago, there was one "main" Grub in the MBR that booted Debian and Windows directly and chainloaded another Grub for opensuse (and possibly chainloaded back in one menu entry)
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
Tadeas

Postby edbarx » 2010-06-07 17:10

pcalvert wrote:
edbarx wrote:I think, using several small partitions for my bootloaders is the best solution to date.
Why several small partitions? Why not install the boot loader for each OS on its root partition and have just a single small partition for your "master GRUB" that is set up to chain-load the other boot loaders?

Phil

I am using the bootloaders of the different installations, together with another one for Windows, plus the master bootloader. The reason for having another bootloader for Windows, is to allow me to go back to the main menu, whenever I mistakenly select Windows. It is widely known, that once one gets into the booting process of Windows, it can take several minutes to boot. The way I did it, saves me from wasting my time.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Previous

Return to Debian Development