Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flightgear and Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
ChrisBaines

Flightgear and Debian

#1 Post by ChrisBaines »

I have been using Flightgear for about a year now and really like it, however its a fractured project with many tools and sub tools that are separate to the main project. When installing new aircraft for the first time I found this very hard as you have to change the permissions of the aircraft folder, download the aircraft archive from the Flightgear website, unpack the .zip archive in to the correct folder (/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Aircraft/) and then you were able to use the aircraft. Would it be possible to package the Flightgear aircraft and add them to the Debian archives?

I have written a small python script that automatically processes .zip archives containing aircraft and creates a Debian source package around it and uploaded these packages to the Ubuntu launchpad site. What I want to ask though is how would Debian go about providing these aircraft properly? (assuming the current method is not proper?) Would it be through packages? These is also a lot of aircraft for Flightgear, over a gig of data at least, would this influence who they would be provided?

Thanks,

Chris

BioTube

Re: Flightgear and Debian

#2 Post by BioTube »

Considering the repos include addons for Iceweasel, packaging planes for Flightgear doesn't sound absurd. Just make sure they conform to Debian policy.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.