Squeeze + NTP issues

News and discussion about development of the Debian OS itself

Squeeze + NTP issues

Postby modulationz » 2010-07-24 19:36

I updated my Debian squeeze installation today and ntp was removed because of conflicts:
Code: Select all
% sudo aptitude install ntp
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libopts25{a} ntp{b}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 500kB/566kB of archives. After unpacking 1,417kB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  ntp: Breaks: dhcp3-client (< 4.1.0-1) but 3.1.3-2 is installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1)     dhcp3-client               
2)     network-manager             
3)     network-manager-gnome       

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Would this be considered normal development churn at this point (i.e. This is probably known breakage, and a fix is forthcoming), or should I log a bug report?
modulationz

Re: Squeeze + NTP issues

Postby Serenity » 2010-07-24 20:59

I believe the main problem here is that dhcp3-client in sid is now just a transitional package that is also provided by isc-dhcp-client, making it fairly obvious that we'll be migrating from the former to the latter fairly soon. Since isc-dhcp-client is currently at 4.1.1-P1-8, ntp won't break it. So I solved this problem myself by uninstalling dhcp3-client and installing isc-dhcp-client. This required installing some packages from sid (since isc-dhcp-client has not yet been migrated to testing) and also produced a warning from aptitude that this broke network-manager by way of removing dhcp3-client (which I think was spurious due isc-dhcp-client providing dhcp3-client, but I took no chances and installed the sid version of network-manager too).

So in short the problem here seems to be that a version of ntp that depends on isc-dhcp-client has been migrated to testing while isc-dhcp-client has no testing version. This is probably due to the fact that version 4 is the "throw everything out and start over" release, and has only just made its way out of experimental. There's also the fact that 4.1.1-P1-9 has been released very recently (apparently it wasn't supposed to conflict with dhcp3-client, but what's done is done) and Testing Excuses for isc-dhcp says "Not touching package due to block request by mehdi (contact debian-release if update is needed)".
Serenity

Postby anticapitalista » 2010-07-24 21:24

As Serenity says. I'd just wait for the newer files to arrive in Testing/squeeze.

As I use apt rather than aptitude, the ntpdate file is held back.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com
anticapitalista

Postby bugsbunny » 2010-07-27 01:28

yesterday aptitude safe-upgrade left ntp untouched. full-upgrade had some dependency issues. I/you could have resolved the issues by installing dhcp3-client from unstable. I chose to wait. Today the new dhcp3-client made it into testing and everything is fine.

As mentioned it's a transitional package and can be removed after installation. Or you can just install isc-dhcp-client instead of dhcp3-client (and dhcp3-common, which can also be removed).

This is an example of:
1) Why you should use safe-upgrade
2) Why you should read and understand what aptitude is trying to do and not blindly except the first option it offers you.
bugsbunny

Return to Debian Development