Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

squeeze install CD could include wicd-curses

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
cthulhu

squeeze install CD could include wicd-curses

#1 Post by cthulhu »

I guess there are about a bazillion packages that people really feel needs to be included in the install CD, so I realize I'll just have to stand in line, but when installing Debian off-line, and deciding to download packages after the installation procedure, one could really use the wicd-curses program. It's so much easier to use than ifconfig, iwconfig, iwlist, wpasuplicant, etc. Just install, and connect! And it's just one tiny extra megabyte, actually it's less than that.

stevepusser

Re: squeeze install CD could include wicd-curses

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Or ceni...which is not in the Debian repo. I wonder why? It works great, even on Lenny.
MX Linux packager and developer

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

cthulhu wrote:one could really use the wicd-curses program. It's so much easier to use than ifconfig, iwconfig, iwlist, wpasuplicant, etc. Just install, and connect! And it's just one tiny extra megabyte, actually it's less than that.
It is exactly this reason that I never use Debian CD's to install Debian - no easy way to configure wireless. Hooking up to an ethernet cable is more trouble than it's worth.
Fortunately we have chroot and live cd's. :)
stevepusser wrote:Or ceni...which is not in the Debian repo. I wonder why? It works great, even on Lenny.
Don't quote me on this but I do believe the developer for ceni and Debian were ........shall we say........binary incompatible.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Mr James

#4 Post by Mr James »

Installation disk should include usb-modeswitch and wvdial in my opinion.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

julian516

#5 Post by julian516 »

wicd-ncurses would be good, but if I have to choose I'll vote for Ceni. In my experience it has been dead-bang reliable and efficient. I realize the advantages of a live-install disk for many people and the newest DVD images have room for either of these. A net-install also could easily include one. Some wireless network managers work when X is shutdown and some don't. Either one of these solves that problem.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#6 Post by mzilikazi »

julian516 wrote:wicd-ncurses would be good, but if I have to choose I'll vote for Ceni.
Agreed - ceni is by far the best CLI tool but sadly it isn't available in Debian. Until that changes ceni will never be included in a Debian installer.
Debian Sid Laptops:

cthulhu

#7 Post by cthulhu »

I've just noticed wicd-curses isn't even in the first two DVD's. I actually find it presents data far better than the gtk-interface. One line for each AP, and it also includes the MAC-address which the gtk-version doesn't.

Do you have a link to ceni?

emariz

#8 Post by emariz »

I would have included Network Manager instead of the screen saver (or Evolution). It is assumed that the target system has a working wired connection.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#9 Post by mzilikazi »

cthulhu wrote:Do you have a link to ceni?
Should be here:
http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?module ... view&pid=2
Debian Sid Laptops:

jheaton5

#10 Post by jheaton5 »

mzilikazi wrote:Don't quote me on this but I do believe the developer for ceni and Debian were ........shall we say........binary incompatible.
I use ceni on sid. It is available from the aptosid repos and it works great. It is easy to set up from the command line and just works.
debian sid

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#11 Post by mzilikazi »

jheaton5 wrote:
mzilikazi wrote:Don't quote me on this but I do believe the developer for ceni and Debian were ........shall we say........binary incompatible.
I use ceni on sid. It is available from the aptosid repos and it works great. It is easy to set up from the command line and just works.
Yes it does work fine. I did not mean to imply that ceni doesn't work on sid. I only offer an explanation of why ceni cannot be found in Debian.
Debian Sid Laptops:

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Shorter link to the actual sources and deb file:

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/aptosid/ ... in/c/ceni/

Thanks for the link, which I have to remember. Ceni is going right into the new section of the community repo I help with for a Debian-based distro.
MX Linux packager and developer