Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 7 default DE?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
mslinux

Re: Debian 7 default DE?

#136 Post by mslinux »

Maybe RHEL's dictioanary right now says "Good" as : [n] something that does not make your 22" widescreen monitor looks like a stupid tablet.
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

ChipOManiac

#137 Post by ChipOManiac »

Randicus wrote:Very bad would be making the computer screen look like a mobile telephone screen in hopes of attracting the brain-dead.
+1 for that :lol:
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!"
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner)

Lenovo ThinkPad T440p (Ястреб "Yastreb")

You had me at "without systemd"

Mr James

#138 Post by Mr James »

Randicus wrote:making the computer screen look like a mobile telephone screen in hopes of attracting the brain-dead.
[rant]
You can excuse Microsoft for going that direction - after all, their target users are the brain dead. But Gnome? It is hard to believe such a contrast can exist within the GNU project (Gnome is part of GNU).
Compare one GNU sub-project like Gnome and it's associated programs with others within the same damn umbrella project (GNU) like Gimp and Emacs in terms of customization and features - while the latter throws in everything but the kitchen sink, the former throws in the kitchen sink and nothing else.
Gnome and it's applications are designed in a weird way. Rather than have a "Double click to enter full screen" option in Eye of Gnome preferences, they implement such options as plugins you can enable - they are seen as features not options. That is silly.
[/rant]

I still say Gnome should remain the default DE in Debian. And by the way, discussing what the default DE should be *here* is pointless. Nobody that matters (can do anything about it) is on the board far as I know. Mailing lists are where the action is.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

mslinux

#139 Post by mslinux »

Mailing lists are where the action is.
I unsubscribed Debian mailing lists years ago...Too much to read, and I was a bit lazy to maintain my Evolution mailbox :lol: :lol:
Otherwise there would be many ranting, moaning there ( well, at least you know who would rant :mrgreen: )
Y U MAKE MEH BIGGY SCREENY A TABLET ???
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

kcredden

#140 Post by kcredden »

I'm still a KDE 4.x fan, but I agree with this as well.

Besides what ever Gnome comes out, I'm wiping it and installing KDE 4.x anyway.

One of the beauties of Linux.
Roel63 wrote:What about "none", and provide a choice at booting the installer?

62chevy

#141 Post by 62chevy »

Why wipe Gnome when the Debian netinstall disk will just install KDE if you want. It will give you the choice of Gnome (default), KDE, Xfce or Lxde. Just goto the Advance options>Alternative desktop environments.
Debian Buster

Pednick

#142 Post by Pednick »

Drum.be wrote:i vote for the Xfce enviroment.
Count me in on that vote. 8)
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

Pednick

#143 Post by Pednick »

Mr James wrote: [rant]And by the way, discussing what the default DE should be *here* is pointless. Nobody that matters (can do anything about it) is on the board far as I know. Mailing lists are where the action is.
Umm ok but then doesn't it make the Debian Development forum moot?

adenukolnis

#144 Post by adenukolnis »

Pednick wrote: Umm ok but then doesn't it make the Debian Development forum moot?
It would if there was one.... Is there one?

The area we are at right now is an area where users discuss debian development.
debian USER forums >>> discussion area >>>> debian development

Roel63

#145 Post by Roel63 »

Anteaus

#146 Post by Anteaus »

I'd go for LXDE or Xfce. LXDE is the more robust and better looking, though Xfce is a little more friendly for beginners. Either is acceptable. Other distros seem to be going one of these routes so seems sensible to do likewise.

KDE 4 was a disaster at the outset though is now looking a bit better. Gnome 3 is almost as bad as Windows 8. Not quite, though.

overthetop

#147 Post by overthetop »

I'm not particularly happy with the direction the Gnome developers are taking, but we will see in time. I would definitely go with either Gnome or Xfce as the default.
“Regression testing”? What’s that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is perfect. -- Linus Torvalds

buntunub

#148 Post by buntunub »

Fer cryin out loud people! A DE is a DE is a DE, as many of you have said on other threads. Why try to sound like your against this or that DE now?

Debian 7 should come with no DE by default. None. Its default DE should be the bash shell. The Debian Installer should present you with a very long list of DE's from which to choose, check the one you want and off you go to the races! If the user chooses none of the DE's, he or she should then be presented with a bare bones base install with no DE. Easy shmeasy. Whats the fuss?

Randicus

#149 Post by Randicus »

Like Slackware's installer, which gives the option of, if I remember correctly, six DE/WMs. That is indeed a good way to do it. If I were the person in charge of such things, I would include Gnome, KDE, Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE and XFCE in the Debian installer.

MALsPa

#150 Post by MALsPa »

buntunub wrote:Fer cryin out loud people! A DE is a DE is a DE, as many of you have said on other threads. Why try to sound like your against this or that DE now?

Debian 7 should come with no DE by default. None. Its default DE should be the bash shell. The Debian Installer should present you with a very long list of DE's from which to choose, check the one you want and off you go to the races! If the user chooses none of the DE's, he or she should then be presented with a bare bones base install with no DE. Easy shmeasy. Whats the fuss?
I agree. I don't care which one is the "default," especially with Debian. Years ago I was a KDE-only person, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Pednick

#151 Post by Pednick »

adenukolnis wrote:
Pednick wrote: Umm ok but then doesn't it make the Debian Development forum moot?
It would if there was one.... Is there one?
You're in it right now.

adenukolnis wrote:The area we are at right now is an area where users discuss debian development.
debian USER forums >>> discussion area >>>> debian development
So you're indicating that the Debian developers don't read this forum, if that's what you're saying then I have to disagree, just recently they announced somewhere that Xfce is in fact going to be the default instead of Gnome.

kostaris

#152 Post by kostaris »

MALsPa wrote:
buntunub wrote:Fer cryin out loud people! A DE is a DE is a DE, as many of you have said on other threads. Why try to sound like your against this or that DE now?

I agree. I don't care which one is the "default," especially with Debian. Years ago I was a KDE-only person, but it doesn't matter anymore.
That is how I feel, it should be all about freedom of choice even though traditionally gnome2 was the debian-default sort of and gnome - reportedly trying to become OS - independent is interesting, Simply selecting your gui of choice is the way to go for me. But I would like to see extra customization under desktop-base, maybe a cool debian-style icon set, after all, Xmass is near :)

dsc

#153 Post by dsc »

Pednick wrote:... just recently they announced somewhere that Xfce is in fact going to be the default instead of Gnome.
Link, please?

gradinaruvasile

#154 Post by gradinaruvasile »

This change was reversed since then:

Original (one of the many google hits...):
http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/deb ... nment.html

And the reverse:
http://www.neowin.net/news/debian-drops ... lt-desktop

I dont know whats to be so dreaded in xfce. Its a stable de, looks like gnome 2 and has most features people need. Prepackaging a few helper programs such as gigolo would help greatly.
Looks like the devs have some name-related inertia, but Gnome 3 isnt what Gnome 2 was good in = being a familiar face with many features.
Look at Windows 8 - they messed it up only halfway: you still have the familiar desktop under that good-awful-start-menu-replacement (it looks like it has schizophrenia or something). And it didnt go well despite actually lowering the hw requirements.
And here is Gnome 3 that changed everything including the kitchen sink + making it essentially useless on less powerful hardware.

dsc

#155 Post by dsc »

Okay, well I wouldn't consider these [1] ,[2] "announcements" of such a change. But whatever.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tas ... 0d9a799a08
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tas ... 79bd8eba68