Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 7 default DE?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Pednick

Re: Debian 7 default DE?

#151 Post by Pednick »

adenukolnis wrote:
Pednick wrote: Umm ok but then doesn't it make the Debian Development forum moot?
It would if there was one.... Is there one?
You're in it right now.

adenukolnis wrote:The area we are at right now is an area where users discuss debian development.
debian USER forums >>> discussion area >>>> debian development
So you're indicating that the Debian developers don't read this forum, if that's what you're saying then I have to disagree, just recently they announced somewhere that Xfce is in fact going to be the default instead of Gnome.
"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

kostaris

#152 Post by kostaris »

MALsPa wrote:
buntunub wrote:Fer cryin out loud people! A DE is a DE is a DE, as many of you have said on other threads. Why try to sound like your against this or that DE now?

Debian 7 should come with no DE by default. None. Its default DE should be the bash shell. The Debian Installer should present you with a very long list of DE's from which to choose, check the one you want and off you go to the races! If the user chooses none of the DE's, he or she should then be presented with a bare bones base install with no DE. Easy shmeasy. Whats the fuss?
I agree. I don't care which one is the "default," especially with Debian. Years ago I was a KDE-only person, but it doesn't matter anymore.
That is how I feel, it should be all about freedom of choice even though traditionally gnome2 was the debian-default sort of and gnome - reportedly trying to become OS - independent is interesting, Simply selecting your gui of choice is the way to go for me. But I would like to see extra customization under desktop-base, maybe a cool debian-style icon set, after all, Xmass is near :)

dsc

#153 Post by dsc »

Pednick wrote:... just recently they announced somewhere that Xfce is in fact going to be the default instead of Gnome.
Link, please?

gradinaruvasile

#154 Post by gradinaruvasile »

This change was reversed since then:

Original (one of the many google hits...):
http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/deb ... nment.html

And the reverse:
http://www.neowin.net/news/debian-drops ... lt-desktop

I dont know whats to be so dreaded in xfce. Its a stable de, looks like gnome 2 and has most features people need. Prepackaging a few helper programs such as gigolo would help greatly.
Looks like the devs have some name-related inertia, but Gnome 3 isnt what Gnome 2 was good in = being a familiar face with many features.
Look at Windows 8 - they messed it up only halfway: you still have the familiar desktop under that good-awful-start-menu-replacement (it looks like it has schizophrenia or something). And it didnt go well despite actually lowering the hw requirements.
And here is Gnome 3 that changed everything including the kitchen sink + making it essentially useless on less powerful hardware.

dsc

#155 Post by dsc »

Okay, well I wouldn't consider these [1] ,[2] "announcements" of such a change. But whatever.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tas ... 0d9a799a08
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tas ... 79bd8eba68

AnInkedSoul

#156 Post by AnInkedSoul »

This change was reversed since then:
Actually I would say that the change never took place. It was more of a proposed change if such and such.....oh nevermind we worked it out.
I dont know whats to be so dreaded in xfce.
Nothing dreaded but it has some niggles and because of those I enjoy using something else more than xfce. Nothing wrong with xfce at all. I can actually enjoy it for a while but sooner or later those niggles get me. It is more of a personal preference to not want to tolerate those niggles. Luckily I have a environment that doesn't have those niggles so why wouldn't I use it. It actually makes sense if you think about it.
Looks like the devs have some name-related inertia, but Gnome 3 isnt what Gnome 2 was good in = being a familiar face with many features.
All it takes to be familiar is to use it and become familiar. Considering the market I think people are quickly becoming familiar with the 'new' type interfaces anyway.
And here is Gnome 3 that changed everything including the kitchen sink + making it essentially useless on less powerful hardware.
The full blown Gnome 3 experience includes a lot of 'heavy' apps that needs some power behind it. The basic gnome3 desktop with lighter apps isn't as 'heavy' at all. Of course it requires direct rendering (or llvmpipe?) but I have had direct rendering with intel video chipsets since around debian woody so I do not see that as a OMG requirement. But so what if it is heavy, Gnome2 was too heavy for my 486 with 8mb of ram too....

nadir

#157 Post by nadir »

until etch or lenny twm came with xorg.
if anything that was the default.

but no, it was not.

official position might be different. to me there is no such thing as a debian default
(to me deselecting environment and installing from there is the default).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

h3z

#158 Post by h3z »

Yeah, install the base debian, and apt-get install xorg with whatever X enviroment you want .
I can't stand the default install of kde or gnome on most distros, as you always end up with gdm/kdm .
Just more junk running in the background that I don't need .
I like E16 .

cwwgateway

#159 Post by cwwgateway »

h3z wrote:Yeah, install the base debian, and apt-get install xorg with whatever X enviroment you want .
I can't stand the default install of kde or gnome on most distros, as you always end up with gdm/kdm .
I like E16 .
Hi h3z... Do you use E16 or E17? Until recently, E16 was technically the latest stable release, so I'd be curious how many people used E16 instead of E17. Assuming you did mean E16, how was the experience compared to more modern WMs (especially E17)?

Anyway, on the subject, I agree with those who say you can install whatever you want and there isn't really a default. TBH, I've never installed Debian with the default DE (although I haven't done too many debian installs yet) - personally I like to install Xfce. As long as I have the freedom to install whatever I want, I don't see a problem with any DE or WM being the default. While my favorite is Xfce, I have no problem with Gnome being included in the CD - there doesn't seem to be a defacto standard anymore (with so many new DEs/Shells appearing due to Gnome 3), so it seems logical to continue with the previous DE's successor (despite it being very different). Anyways... just my two cents :) .

h3z

#160 Post by h3z »

cwwgateway wrote:
h3z wrote:Yeah, install the base debian, and apt-get install xorg with whatever X enviroment you want .
I like E16 .
Hi h3z... Do you use E16 or E17? Until recently, E16 was technically the latest stable release, so I'd be curious how many people used E16 instead of E17. Assuming you did mean E16, how was the experience compared to more modern WMs (especially E17)?

Anyway, on the subject, I agree with those who say you can install whatever you want and there isn't really a default. TBH, I've never installed Debian with the default DE (although I haven't done too many debian installs yet) - personally I like to install Xfce. As long as I have the freedom to install whatever I want, I don't see a problem with any DE or WM being the default. While my favorite is Xfce, I have no problem with Gnome being included in the CD - there doesn't seem to be a defacto standard anymore (with so many new DEs/Shells appearing due to Gnome 3), so it seems logical to continue with the previous DE's successor (despite it being very different). Anyways... just my two cents :) .
I have been using E16 . I have used E17 . E17 has a nice way of managing the apps in your menu . With E16 you use a file . The themes are more detialed in E17. But, really the only thing I personally liked more about E17 was the built in audio mixer . You can use an epplet audio mixer in E16, but they are real ugly .
For most user, E17 would be the better choice . It dosen't seem to use much more memory than E16 . It is quite a bit larger in data size . I'd use an alternative file manager . The E17 file manager is okay, but too simple . Over all E17 is a nice WM . If I didn't use E16, I would use E17 then fluxbox, then last on my list would be openbox . But, I would hate having to compile E17 from source in comparison to E16 . Although most Debian users won't have to worry about that . Even if you are a strick stable dabain user, you can get E17 from the Elive repository . I did notice on an Ubuntu install that E17 was very buggy . Somthing to do with how the menu tried to auto-gen menu item . So, I would get a current release of it .

cwwgateway

#161 Post by cwwgateway »

h3z wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
I like E16 .

I have been using E16 . I have used E17 . E17 has a nice way of managing the apps in your menu . With E16 you use a file . The themes are more detialed in E17. But, really the only thing I personally liked more about E17 was the built in audio mixer . You can use an epplet audio mixer in E16, but they are real ugly .
For most user, E17 would be the better choice . It dosen't seem to use much more memory than E16 . It is quite a bit larger in data size . I'd use an alternative file manager . The E17 file manager is okay, but too simple . Over all E17 is a nice WM . If I didn't use E16, I would use E17 then fluxbox, then last on my list would be openbox . But, I would hate having to compile E17 from source in comparison to E16 . Although most Debian users won't have to worry about that . Even if you are a strick stable dabain user, you can get E17 from the Elive repository . I did notice on an Ubuntu install that E17 was very buggy . Somthing to do with how the menu tried to auto-gen menu item . So, I would get a current release of it .
Ok, thanks. I've used E17 a fair amount, and I've tried FluxBox/OpenBox, but I've never used E16. I'll have to try it when I have time (hopefully before wheezy's released).

Tux9656

#162 Post by Tux9656 »

I vote for the Mate desktop. Too bad it's not in the official repo.
If Gnome 3 is the default, then won't pulseaudio also be installed by default? Just the though of pulseaudio as default sends a chill down my spine.

cynwulf

#163 Post by cynwulf »

What is or is not the default is largely irrelevant when it's easy enough to install a different DE.

shiva

#164 Post by shiva »

Tux9656 wrote:I vote for the Mate desktop. Too bad it's not in the official repo.
If Gnome 3 is the default, then won't pulseaudio also be installed by default? Just the though of pulseaudio as default sends a chill down my spine.
Pulse audio is good just you should know to install it and configure the way it should be configured.
This is my /etc/asound.conf :
http://pastebin.com/WtjpFXim

For glitches and noise in playback refer to this few small fixes listed on this blog post http://pc-freak.net/blog/how-to-fix-pul ... gnu-linux/

P.S. I vote for Xfce I activly use it from 2009 year.
Debian Sid, custom 3.9 kernel, xfce 4.10, Mate
Arch Linux running 3.10-rc4 kernel Xfce 4.10, openbox
Gentoo Linux running 3.10-rc4 custom Xfce 4.10

Pelly

#165 Post by Pelly »

Absolutely KDE! With a custom-made skin, like openSUSE. GNOME already has a predominance in the Linux scope.
(I've thinking about Unity... but it's already GNOME-based, plus, why would we become Ubuntu copycats?)
And some stuff: Debian should definitely come with a GUI, because putting every GUI on a CD will cause a bloat and only DVD releases will be available. There is mirroring, but not everyone has a net connection. Asides from that, it'd be useful to make light window managers like IceWM, wmaker and etc. available.
EDIT: Somebody had the idea of choose-your-own-desktop-before-downloading. We already have 4 DE versions, only JWM and the like are missing. Or did you mean a build sevice as with openSUSE? I've got Inkscape and now I'm making the stuff for the KDE theme. SVG is easier than pixel!