Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Debian Based Distro: Debian for Devs

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
jheaton5

Re: New Debian Based Distro: Debian for Devs

#16 Post by jheaton5 »

I can't imagine a developer who doesn't already have his system customized to his own liking.
debian sid

qjqqyy

#17 Post by qjqqyy »

zygorguidesreview wrote:Can I have the repo address, please?
It is still in development, i think, you gotta wait.

corrytonapple

#18 Post by corrytonapple »

Thank you for your advice Marcus and Nadir.
I have been busy, between the 4th of July here in the US, and then the wolf attacks on the henhouse, I have been full handed. I mean really. It may not sound like much, but i have been unable to get back to this post.
I will try a different forum. See what will happen. I have my own forum, but it is a lot smaller than here. I will run it by them and see what they think.
Every bit of critisim I got is what I expected. Good, I am ready to try some stuff. I will begin messing around with stuff, and then we will see the outcome. The support here is giving me every boost possible.
Thanks for your help!
--Corrytonapple----
Typed while running Debian Wheezy on Recycled Electrons

Kuze

#19 Post by Kuze »

Mr James wrote:Here's a thought: Install a Debian base system and then install whatever you want... :roll:
There are various spins of Debian called "pure blends". A developer blend would be pointless though as a developer would already have intimate knowledge of GNU/Linux and the ability to install the required tools.
This , also you cant account for every language , app, IDE , server / configuration ...well you see where this is going

nadir

#20 Post by nadir »

nadir wrote: On a side note this is not the first time that i hear someone discussing his shiny new idea, but most of them vanish in no-mans-land. I for one would do it and present the result, and ask then.
So, is it one of those cases? Again? Or am i not patient enough, and two months is too little time?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

marky611

#21 Post by marky611 »

I don't see the point to this because You could probably find all the dev tools in synaptic install them in less than 30 minutes. I think a new distro is unnecessary.

traveler

#22 Post by traveler »

marky611 wrote:I don't see the point to this because You could probably find all the dev tools in synaptic install them in less than 30 minutes. I think a new distro is unnecessary.
What dev worth their salt uses Synaptic? :P
I don't see the point, either. Devs aren't generally in need of spoon-feeding... Well, at least not DD's.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

noitaintsaulgoode

#23 Post by noitaintsaulgoode »

jheaton5 wrote:I can't imagine a developer who doesn't already have his system customized to his own liking.

Huge +1 here......

Wouldn't a dev just make their own distro if they wanted a distro for devs?

bentinc

#24 Post by bentinc »

noitaintsaulgoode wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:I can't imagine a developer who doesn't already have his system customized to his own liking.
Huge +1 here......

Wouldn't a dev just make their own distro if they wanted a distro for devs?
+1 And it's even worse. Every new distro leads to duplicated effort better spent improving existing distros. As a dev you surely know the word "overhead". ;)

endived

#25 Post by endived »

I agree with you here.
Next to that, how long does it take to set up a new Debian system from scratch in case the almost unthinkable happens and person who knows his Debian screws up his system. I think it's even less than one hour and you can go walk your dog during the main part of the process, nl installing your packages.

Another thing that keeps me from using Debian-derivatives (or derivatives from Debian-derivatives) is that I can imagine it complicates the bug fixing process. But that's probably an uneducated assumption.
Never kill a customer.