Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian and Java in non-free

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Lou

Debian and Java in non-free

#1 Post by Lou »

Miscellaneous News

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060612

Go to the page it has some links about this discussion in Slashdot and the devs' "flame fest".

Debian split over Java license, SUSE apologises for package management troubles, Gentoo tips and tricks, Dzongkha Linux report

Debian GNU/Linux, a Linux distribution developed by over a thousand volunteer developers in all corners the world, is well-known for the many public brawls that happen all too frequently on its mailing lists and web logs. However, the recent flame fest over the inclusion of Sun Microsystem's Java packages in Debian's 'non-free' archive has to go down as one of the most hotly debated issues in a long time. As reported on Slashdot and elsewhere, Anthony Towns, the Debian Project Leader, went as far as suggesting that the Debian Project should separate from Software in the Public Interest, its legal umbrella - after it expressed unhappiness over being left out from the decision-making process. Despite the heated debate and with the majority of Debian developers opposing the new Java license, the issue has yet to be resolved to everybody's satisfaction. Is this a good example of a working democracy in an Internet era software project or an unreasonable threat by the hot-headed Debian Project Leader?
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

I say hot-headed DPL:

=====
Le jeudi 18 mai 2006 à 09:50 -0500, Anthony Towns a écrit :
> > As a final note, did anyone from Debian who usually examines licences
> > actually examine this one?
>
> Yes.

At the election time, I hoped you could improve regarding communication
skills, at least enough to become a project leader. This was obviously
wrong. You haven't changed a bit, and such attitude may be a standard
for a part of the ftp-master team, but it is not responsible behavior
from the DPL.
=====
Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:18:16PM +0200, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> On 6/4/06, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:18:39AM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
>>>> Too many excuses. All inadequate.
>
>>>> It is past time that the covert actions of the "small cabal"
>>>> were openly reviewed. The license (for convenience), any
>>>> relevant written promises from Sun (if any), and any relevant
>>>> written legal opinions from counsel (if any) should forthwith
>>>> be posted to debian-legal.
>
>>> For those playing along at home, Mike isn't a Debian developer, doesn't
>>> maintain any packages, and isn't a new-maintainer applicant. He doesn't
>>> even seem to be a regular participant on the debian-legal list.
=====

This is just stupid - non DDs should be able to at least *voice* their opinions. Their opinions don't have to be considered but they should still be able to say what they want.

In case AJ ever looks at this: IANADD, IANADM (I am not a Debian maintainer), IANINM (I am not in NM.)

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by kink »

I'm not a DD too, but I must agree with AJ that this Mike person has no significant contributions to Debian but does think he has the right to make demands of people who do things inside the project.

Everyone is entitled to give their opinion in a civilised way. People who do not contribute other than making a fuss on mailinglists should indeed go away.