Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why not kOpenBSD?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
dmhdlr

Why not kOpenBSD?

#1 Post by dmhdlr »

Does anybody know why the FreeBSD kernel was picked over the other two popular kernels for the Debian GNU/BSD project?
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg

vbrummond

Re: Why not kOpenBSD?

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Perhaps search or ask the devs themselves? They probably have a mailing list.
Always on Debian Testing

el_koraco

#3 Post by el_koraco »

I think it's because of the general nature of FBSD development, which is highly similar to Debian's, so maintenance is easier.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by BBQdave »

Deckard wrote:Does anybody know why the FreeBSD kernel was picked over the other two popular kernels for the Debian GNU/BSD project?
To my understanding (as the history of Unix goes) FreeBSD is Unix. FreeBSD is the continuation of Unix after the Unix legal wars (and the stalling of Unix development). All other flavors of BSD are derived or forked from FreeBSD (Unix).

Though arguably one could say Unix development never stalled, just continued under the name FreeBSD. :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

el_koraco

#5 Post by el_koraco »

BBQdave wrote: To my understanding (as the history of Unix goes) FreeBSD is Unix. FreeBSD is the continuation of Unix after the Unix legal wars (and the stalling of Unix development). All other flavors of BSD are derived or forked from FreeBSD (Unix).
Nup, you got it wrong. Free and NetBSD started development at about the same time. OpenBSD split from NetBSD in the early 90ies. There is a lot of BSD flavors based on FreeBSD, like PC-BSD, but there's a lot of them based on the other two big ones as well.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by BBQdave »

el_koraco wrote:
BBQdave wrote: To my understanding (as the history of Unix goes) FreeBSD is Unix. FreeBSD is the continuation of Unix after the Unix legal wars (and the stalling of Unix development). All other flavors of BSD are derived or forked from FreeBSD (Unix).
Nup, you got it wrong. Free and NetBSD started development at about the same time. OpenBSD split from NetBSD in the early 90ies. There is a lot of BSD flavors based on FreeBSD, like PC-BSD, but there's a lot of them based on the other two big ones as well.
OK, thanks. Did not realize Free and NetBSD started development at the same time. BSD Unix is Unix, right? And I thought that after the Unix legal wars, BSD Unix became FreeBSD. Basically Berkeley could not use the word "Unix." Was NetBSD derived from the same BSD Unix or from FreeBSD?

Just curious? In my limited interest in Unix and articles on Unix, FreeBSD is presented as the strongest decedent of Unix, and sometimes phrased that FreeBSD is Unix. :?:
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

boobdillin

#7 Post by boobdillin »

Deckard wrote:Does anybody know why the FreeBSD kernel was picked over the other two popular kernels for the Debian GNU/BSD project?
actually there was a debian gnu/netbsd project for a while

el_koraco

#8 Post by el_koraco »

BBQdave wrote:
el_koraco wrote: OK, thanks. Did not realize Free and NetBSD started development at the same time. BSD Unix is Unix, right? And I thought that after the Unix legal wars, BSD Unix became FreeBSD.
No, BSD was one of the two principal Unix variants, the other being System V Unix (which Linux is a descendant of). Free and NetBSD started life as forks of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/386BSD. Basically, the freeing up of the code was halted by lawsuits claiming infringement violations of the original AT&T code for Unix, which led to complete rewrites and finally to the FOSS versions of BSD. They're more like the original and the commercial Unixes than Linux is, but that's pretty much geek talk for the 1% layers most users (hell, even sysadmins) are hardly ever exposed to. What the BSDs are not are "official" Unixes, because you gotta apply and pay s significant sum in order to get that specification.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by BBQdave »

el_koraco wrote:BSD was one of the two principal Unix variants, the other being System V Unix (which Linux is a descendant of). Free and NetBSD started life as forks of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/386BSD. Basically, the freeing up of the code was halted by lawsuits claiming infringement violations of the original AT&T code for Unix, which led to complete rewrites and finally to the FOSS versions of BSD. They're more like the original and the commercial Unixes than Linux is, but that's pretty much geek talk for the 1% layers most users (hell, even sysadmins) are hardly ever exposed to. What the BSDs are not are "official" Unixes, because you gotta apply and pay s significant sum in order to get that specification.
Understood. And I was at wikipedia while you were clarifying this through your post. Thanks :)

register88

#10 Post by register88 »

Is there any project do porting apt system to any BSD system?

sidRo

#11 Post by sidRo »

APT system ported to openSolaris/openIndiana (unix) == Nexenta
http://www.nexenta.com
http://nexentastor.org/