Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

questions for developers about i686 optimization and JAVA

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
baldy1324

questions for developers about i686 optimization and JAVA

#1 Post by baldy1324 »

i have been using debian for some while now, and it is the only distribution i will ever use and i love its phylosophy. but i have two questions:
1.there is no simple java sdk or runtime environment, you have to build it with make-jpkg-debian does have a non-free repository which has many other non-free packages-why can't java be in this.
2.i686 optimization-one reason i chose debian is b/c of its quickness and ability to tune things unlike bloated distros. if anyone has ever tried arch linux-you will know that it is sometimes faster than gentoo just by optimizing all of its packages for this architecture. there are proabably not many people at all (2%) probably or something that don't have an i686 processor. heck i686 includes the ancient pentium pro processor. or just make an i686 port.
thank you(not trying to be critical)
robert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
old pentium 3 machine with 128 MB ram 40 GB Hd running debian sid with xfce and fluxbox

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

I don't really have an opinion about optimizing for any architecture, but I do know that Java isn't included in Debian for some kind of license thing. The java license says:
(...) Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that
(i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs,(...)
I think Sun is working on a more flexible license which will allow distributions to include Java.

plugwash

#3 Post by plugwash »

non-free still has its limits ;)

before the dlj it was not legally possible to make and distribute a java deb without signing a contract with sun. With the dlj it is but last i checked it was subject to some nasty conditions

the bug report with the main arguments is a mess but now seems to be closed which has allowed the package to enter testing, its anyones guess if it will remain there though.