Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Wheezy Gnome and KDE versions

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
inp3dance

Debian Wheezy Gnome and KDE versions

#1 Post by inp3dance »

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any information about what versions of Gnome and KDE next Debian will include. I mean will Wheezy have Gnome 3.4 and KDE 4.8? I heard a rumor that the feature freeze will happen sometimes near June, so there should be time for those versions, but as I see, nor SID, nor experimental made any move yet.
I know that Debian places stability in front of new features and I also know that if I want those versions, I can help. But after 8-9 hours of programming at work, I really have no energy, nor propensity to build packages. I'm not new in the Linux world, when I was a student, I had time to play, test distros, play with gentoo, etc, but those times are gone, right now I'm regressed to a simple user (maybe a bit more, cause I run Arch :D)
What made me to consider to switch to Debian is that is fast and also stable (Arch is fast and somewhat stable too, but is to fast changing), but I'm interested in new stuff too, what is improved in KDE, in Gnome, etc, but I don't know how many versions behind the mainstream will Wheeyz will be.
Thanks!

vbrummond

Re: Debian Wheezy Gnome and KDE versions

#2 Post by vbrummond »

You can check out the Debian KDE maintainers site here: http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/ It has 4.7 in experimental for now. I am not sure what will land before the freeze.

I am glad you are considering Debian. I find it to be a very productive OS. :)
Always on Debian Testing

dotlj

#3 Post by dotlj »

Code: Select all

/home/me# aptitude show kde-runtime
Package: kde-runtime                     
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 4:4.8.4-1
Priority: optional
Section: kde
I'm running Wheezy on my second box. Getting close to the freeze now. Haven't tried Gnome in many years.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

dotlj wrote:Getting close to the freeze now.
More like "happened two weeks ago."

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00006.html

It's official: KDE for Wheezy is 4.8.4. GNOME Shell 3.4.1