Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]testing+unstable in sources.list = broken apt

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
TiPaul

[SOLVED]testing+unstable in sources.list = broken apt

#1 Post by TiPaul »

Lately, i've changed my Wheezy 64bits (always updated) to use unstable repositories in order to install gnome-tweak-tool from it (fixes problem with user-themes).

I've modified my sources.list file to replaced all "wheezy" by "testing" and added "unstable" repos.
I've added /etc/apt/preferences file with "testing" with pinning at 900 and o="Debian" to -10.

The update of gnome-tweak-tool went fine with :
aptitude install gnome-tweak-tool/unstable

Later on, i found doing an update will take more time (normal since i'm pooling unstable repositories).
So i commented the unstable lines from sources.list file.

From now on, it seems that "aptitude update" works fine but i have no more update available and i cannot install packages that are actually present (when checking at the Debian packages website for testing).

Can a change from wheezy to testing OR removing unstable in sources.list file can cause trouble ?

Edit : I also installed gnome-tweak-tool on a second PC using the same procedure except that i did not try removing unstable repository nor touching anything else. This PC is currently ok with updates and i can install package that are not found on my first (broken) PC... :?:
Last edited by TiPaul on 2012-05-18 19:51, edited 2 times in total.

cynwulf

Re: testing+unstable in sources.list = broken apt

#2 Post by cynwulf »

Not really sure what you're doing there as you haven't posted up the relevant files...

If you're pinning, any repositories referenced in /etc/apt/preferences need to be enabled in your /etc/apt/sources.list
Last edited by cynwulf on 2012-03-01 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

TiPaul

#3 Post by TiPaul »

Can it be that i've try updating while preferences file had "testing" in it and sources.list had "wheezy" ?

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

Yes, because one day "wheezy" will be "stable" and testing will be something else. If you call it "testing" in your sources, you need to call it testing in your preferences.

TiPaul

#5 Post by TiPaul »

The problem seem to be the last section of the /etc/apt/preferences :
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -10
When i replace o=Debian by a=unstable, everything is back to normal... ???

I don't know why because i've taken this preferences example from official site : http://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences

emariz

#6 Post by emariz »

Read man apt_preferences, more than once. Then read the headers of any file like /var/lib/apt/lists/some_URI_Release to understand the preferences that you set.

The next time that you want to mix branches without doing your homework, please don't do it.

TiPaul

#7 Post by TiPaul »

Sorry,

Even man apt_preferences shows same config to use testing as main repository and any other in sources.list must be used "manually" to install a package from :
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -10
Anyway, i'll use a=unstable for my Pin-Priority -10 as this is working.
I know that testing is also o=Debian, but i taught seeing this config in official sites and also in the man pages was the right way to do it.